PDA

View Full Version : Choice between the 18" and 14" deluxe bandsaw

Stephen Saar
01-26-2010, 5:16 PM
It looks like Woodcraft is having a sale and the 18" Rikon Bandsaw is 1000, or 300 off the normal price. I've been getting really close to buying a bandsaw, and I was eyeing the Rikon 14" deluxe bandsaw, but for only 200 more I can get the 18". I've heard really great things about the 14", and I wasn't sure if the 18" was just as good as the 14" inch, or if I would actually be better off with the 14" deluxe model instead of the 18" model.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Chuck Isaacson
01-26-2010, 10:14 PM
If I were you, I would get the 18". $200 for a lot more saw is definitely worth it in my opinion. If you have the room and the power you should. You will never need to upgrade the saw. Good deal.

Aaron Hastings
01-26-2010, 10:16 PM
If I were you, I would get the 18". $200 for a lot more saw is definitely worth it in my opinion. If you have the room and the power you should. You will never need to upgrade the saw. Good deal.

Ditto.

$200 is a steal for the extra 4 inches.

Van Huskey
01-26-2010, 10:21 PM
It looks like Woodcraft is having a sale and the 18" Rikon Bandsaw is 1000, or 300 off the normal price. I've been getting really close to buying a bandsaw, and I was eyeing the Rikon 14" deluxe bandsaw, but for only 200 more I can get the 18". I've heard really great things about the 14", and I wasn't sure if the 18" was just as good as the 14" inch, or if I would actually be better off with the 14" deluxe model instead of the 18" model.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-Stephen

Talk to them about the winter clearence sale coming the thrid week or so in Feb, one of the guys at WC said 10% off Rikon and that would be off the 999.

Cary Falk
01-27-2010, 2:53 AM
I have never heard anything bad about either saw. If you can swing teh money and have the space, I would go with the 18".

Will Brauneis
01-27-2010, 3:32 AM
About 8 months ago i had to make the same decision. I ended up going with the 18" model and am very happy with it. It cuts great has plenty of power for 12" resaws and operates smooth. I haven't used the 14" model so i cant really compare the two but i think i got quite a bit more saw for the money. It has an extra 1 Hp over the 14", a bigger table, its quite a bit heavier, can take a wider blade, and the footprint isn't much bigger. My only issues with it were the lower wheel was out of alignment so that took some adjusting and the upper roller guide wasn't square with the blade so i had to do a little filing to get it square. Also the fence it comes with isn't that great could be taller and more sturdy but you could always put an aftermarket on it. but for the price I'm very happy with it i would recommend it for only 200 extra.

But that's what works for my shop, what works for your shop might be different (space and type of work) Try asking the dealer if you can give them a spin and compare.

Gary Muto
01-27-2010, 6:54 AM
I bought the 14" Deluxe about a year ago since I wanted something I could get in (and out) of my basement shop so I didn't pursue the 18". I think the 14" Deluxe may have a slightly stiffer fence but other than that the 18" looks as good or better. I do know that customer service from Rikon is great.