PDA

View Full Version : Crown Molding Size Variation

Jerry Solomon
01-26-2010, 4:27 PM
I am doing my first crown molding job in a small room (my house - laundry room). I bought the molding at the blue borg and, after doing some research, started to install it. I seem to be having a lot of trouble with coped corners so most of it has miters. I have now discovered that there is a considerable amount of variability in the width of various lengths of the "same" molding. I measured as much as 0.035 - 0.040 in the overall width from piece to piece. The problem is that I have one piece left to install (both ends to be mitered) and the only remaining length of molding is about 0.035" narrower than the mating piece on one side. This doesn't seem like a lot but I can't seem to fit it together with an acceptable joint. Is this a common problem? I'm reasonably good with caulk but there's only so much you can do. Any advice from you guys with more experience in this area would be appreciated.

phil harold
01-26-2010, 4:43 PM
7/200 of an inch?

Not much to worry about in my books,
but can be easily dealt with with a sharp plane, sand paper or slight modifcation of the angle

0.035" variation what did you measured that with?

as an old carpenter used to tell me when I called out sixteenths of an inch
"What do you thinK your doing? Building the Sixteenth chapel."

You are coping the corners and this is good, There is alot of practice needed in coping to get it to fit right.
One thing to make sure is that the piece you are coping into is not nailed near the joint for a couple of feet in case you need to adjust when fitting the joint.

Don Morris
01-26-2010, 5:23 PM
I've made that comment in a post about the variation about casing. Not much you can do other than to learn tricks with caulk, sand paper, tweeking the coping saw, etc. Also, educating your LOML about the problem helps keep her complaining down. Put the worst of the problems in out of the way spots. I was eating Christmas dinner in my sons 8 yr old home, had eaten many meals there, when I noticed one 4' run of his molding was different from all the rest of the molding. It was in an out of the way corner. He told me not to tell his wife. That was 4 or 5 years ago.

Roger Bullock
01-27-2010, 8:27 AM
It is too late for your project but a lesson I learned a long time ago is to pay close attention to what you are buying especially in the box stores who are frequently changing venders, suppliers, etc.

1. Always buy enough stock to complete the job at one time ( they may change venders on their next order). You can always return what is not used.

2. I try to select all the material that is produced from the same manufacture at the same time. Check for lot numbers, date of manufacture, etc.

An old carpenter once told me the mark of a good carpenter is one who can hide his (or in this case their) mistakes. :cool:

phil harold
01-27-2010, 10:01 AM
An old carpenter once told me the mark of a good carpenter is one who can hide his (or in this case their) mistakes. :cool:

That same carpenter also told me that it is the painter/finisher that makes a carpenter look good

Jerry Solomon
01-27-2010, 10:17 AM
Thanks to all for the responses. I guess I'll see how good my caulking skills really are!!!