PDA

View Full Version : Hope's Tung Oil Varnish not drying

Bob Abbott
01-26-2010, 3:14 PM
My wife put a thin coat of Hope's Tung Oil Varnish on an old table she had previously refinished. After 24 hrs this is still tacky. I assume the varnish had degraded because it was old. Is there any way to accelerate the drying with a drying agent after application? Or will she need to remove the coat and start over? If so, what should she use to remove the tacky coat?

Jim Becker
01-26-2010, 5:32 PM
Old varnish is, well...not something you want to use. In many cases, it will not fully cure, or not cure in any reasonable time frame. She will likely have to strip and start over with fresh finish. A chemical stripper should be used...and proper safety precautions taken.

Bob Abbott
01-26-2010, 8:35 PM
I'm sorry, Jim, but she isn't accepting your solution. :rolleyes: What can I say?....
Isn't there some way to remove the new tacky varnish without removing the original finish underneath?

Aaron Hastings
01-26-2010, 10:29 PM
I would suggest NOT saying, "Welcome to refinishing Honey!", laughing, and walking away.:p

I'd take that table to the warmest spot in the house (or bring a portable heater in) and pray the heat speeds up the process. Otherwise, Jim is correct.

Scott Holmes
01-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Bob,

You could try to scrub the old finish off with mineral spirits and a synthetic steelwood; aka scotch bite pad.

Howard Acheson
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Are you referring to Hope's Tung Oil Varnish or Hopes 100% Tung Oil?

If it's the varnish and it's not drying and hardening, it has probably gone beyond its shelf life and should be discarded.

Your only chance of removing the gunk is to do as Scott suggests and use 3/0 steel wool and mineral spirits followed by drying with lots of paper towels. If you want to use a Scotch Brite type pad, use a green.

Chris Barnett
01-28-2010, 6:57 PM
While you are making up your mind, you might want to suggest she keep the dust down, then step away quickly :D.

Bob Abbott
01-28-2010, 7:30 PM
Thanks for your help. Actually I took Aaron's approach and decided to give it more time. After 72 hrs it seems to be hardening reasonably well. Since we will be away for a week or so, this should give it enough time to complete. If that doesn't do it she will try the mineral spirits/Scotch Brite approach, but I don't think that will be needed now. It was the Tung Oil Varnish and I am sure it is beyond its shelf life. Almost time for another trip to the toxic waste dump. I must have more stuff that needs to go there.