PDA

View Full Version : Which router lift? Woodpecker vs Jessem

scott vroom
01-26-2010, 2:47 PM
The Jessem Mast-R-Lift and Woodpecker PRL V2 are identically priced at $300 and both seem to be top quality. Is this a coin toss decision? I notice that the Mast-R-Lift doesn't have the micro-adjustment dial like the PRL V2. Is this a big deal? Is it just as easy to micro-adjust the Jessem using the crank? The Jessem appears to be a simpler design, perhaps with fewer moving parts which may be a plus.

Any thoughts on this one? I know this subject gets beat to death on SMC, but I'm thinking there may still be some fresh perspectives that add value to the discussion.

Thanks!
Scott

Rick Alexander
01-26-2010, 3:01 PM
I just don't know how you could possibly improve on that design. There just is no faster way to change bits - no cranking up - just slip the shaft in the hole and raise the bit completely up and use regular wrenches to change the bit. Just couldn't be any easier. The micro adjuster would probably be about a tossup especially if you get one of those digital bit height gizmo's. So far, the Woodpeckers - like most everything I've ever bought from them, is top drawer.

Ray Newman
01-26-2010, 3:36 PM
Agree on the Woodpeck lift.

scott vroom
01-26-2010, 3:44 PM
Sounds like Woodpecker is a sure win lift. What fence did you guys get? Woodpeckers has a premium fence and the LE fence.....solid but with fewer bells and whistles. If I go with woodpecker I'll also get their premium MDF tabe, currently on sale (20 bucks discount).

Jim O'Dell
01-26-2010, 3:49 PM
Scott, if you aren't signed up already, get on the Woodpecker mailing list. Weekly specials. Often I see the PRLV2 for 30.00 off. I have the old version PRL and it is a beast! I really like the added features of the V2. Jim.

Greg Wittler
01-26-2010, 3:57 PM
Scott, If I had my PRL-V2 set up, I would have you come over and try it out, but I am still a couple of months away from getting everything set up. Still trying to figure out what I am going to do with my band saw when it arrives later this week. You couldn't be more than a couple miles from me if you are living in Mtn. View.

scott vroom
01-26-2010, 3:57 PM
Jim, I just joined Woodpeckers and they gave me a $30 off coupon code for the PRL V2! They also gave me a $20 off coupon for their MDF Precision table. What fence and table are you using with your lift? Have you tried the Woodpecker coping sled? I'm going to be doing lots of cabinet doors and the sled seems like a nice add.

scott vroom
01-26-2010, 4:02 PM
Scott, If I had my PRL-V2 set up, I would have you come over and try it out, but I am still a couple of months away from getting everything set up. Still trying to figure out what I am going to do with my band saw when it arrives later this week. You couldn't be more than a couple miles from me if you are living in Mtn. View.

Hi Greg, yeah I'm in Mountain View near Middlefield Road and Rengstorff. I've recently set up a shop in my 2-car garage (minus some storage space for the wife :D). Am plannng a major kitchen cabinet project for my home. What types of projects do you work on?

Scott

Joe Von Kaenel
01-26-2010, 4:15 PM
Scott,

Just an FYI. Rockler has a router lift (made By Jessem) Rockler Aluminum Router Lift FX (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=21380) for $199.99. I have one and it works very well, not sure why I waited so long to buy a lift.

Joe

Joe Leigh
01-26-2010, 4:48 PM
I just placed an order today with Woodpeckers for their premium table ($20 off), the leg set/wheel kit ($25 off), the PRL V2 ($30 off), and the 6"LE Fence ($10 off). Sale ends on the 28th so It's a good opportunity on some real first class tools..

Michael Drew
01-26-2010, 5:38 PM
My Woodcraft version of the PRLv2 just arrived in the mail today. Very impressive. What sold me on this one was this video with Charles Neal.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021012/2021012.aspx?tab=videos#videos (http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021012/2021012.aspx?tab=videos#videos)

Looking forward to using it, if I can ever make up my mind how to build my table top…..

Paul Incognito
01-26-2010, 6:43 PM
I bought the Jessem because it was what my local Woodcraft had in stock. I've been real happy with it.
PI

Peter Pedisich
01-26-2010, 6:59 PM
Hi, don't have the PRL V2 - have a Woodpeckers Quicklift - but have rarely been as satisfied with a tool. Years later it continues to work beautifully and make me more efficient. Worth every penny, even without a discount.

Greg Wittler
01-26-2010, 8:23 PM
Hi Greg, yeah I'm in Mountain View near Middlefield Road and Rengstorff. I've recently set up a shop in my 2-car garage (minus some storage space for the wife :D). Am plannng a major kitchen cabinet project for my home. What types of projects do you work on?

Scott
Yep a couple of miles, I am close to El Camino Real and Bernardo.
I am not building much right now, I was turning pens and baby rattles w/ a captive ring tool but the garage is such a mess that right now I am starting a power tool collection and need to get some 220 lines run to the garage. I too would like to do a kitchen remodel and will start to build some furniture for my nephew who is stationed in the U.K. in the Air Force Right now and is getting married at the end of the month. I have seen the sub par quality of the cheap kitchen cabinets that seem to be in abundance around here right now, I would like to some nice custom cabinets with dovetailed drawers and pull outs. I too an in a 2 car garage, and fighting for space.

Greg

brian c miller
01-26-2010, 9:32 PM
I'd go for the PRL V2, if you look under the Special Tab of woodpecker's site they have soem refurb for 199. I got one and it's as good as new, there was some tiny (like dime sized) spot where the plate looking slightly dinged.

Van Huskey
01-26-2010, 9:47 PM
Woodpecker FTW. Not that the Jessum is subpar but the PRL V2 really is my favorite of the current crop.

Joshua Easter
01-27-2010, 1:42 AM
You might want to check out the Incra PRL-V2 lift, they have teamed up with Woodpecker to design a better router lift in my opinion. This lift is similiar to the Woodpecker lift but the accessibility for changing the reducing rings seems more practical. The rings use a magnets not a twist locking rings, not to mention the rings are metal not plastic. Just some food for thought! Good luck, Cheers

Here is the link: http://www.incra.com/product_rta_prlv2lift.htm

The Incra is also $30 cheaper!!