PDA

View Full Version : Alignment rulers in laser faded

Dave Russell Smith
01-26-2010, 1:17 PM
Has anyone had to replace their alignment rulers on the laser, I always done my housekeeping after using the laser which also included the rulers.
The problem now is that less than a year later the numerals and measurement marks are nearly gone faded out ?? :(

Bruce Volden
01-26-2010, 1:40 PM
Dave,

Mine are slowly disapearing too. When my machine was new I went to the hardware store and bought a 12" X 24" sheet of thin metal (magnetic). I then scored the entire sheet at 1" intervals with a scribe (laser did line up on these marks before scribing). The sheet was taped to factory top. These have helped immensely to line things up on odd shaped items too. Might be worth considering??:confused:

Bruce

Gary Hair
01-26-2010, 1:54 PM
Has anyone had to replace their alignment rulers on the laser, I always done my housekeeping after using the laser which also included the rulers.
The problem now is that less than a year later the numerals and measurement marks are nearly gone faded out ?? :(

Fortunately mine are anodized aluminum. If they wear off I can just laser them again. You could also buy a piece of 1/8" thick black anodized aluminum and make it yourself.

Gary

Todd Schwartz
01-26-2010, 2:09 PM
I actually had to make some for use on the VersaLaser vector table. Used the black Rowmark material that allowed me to engrave from the back. That way I can just wipe off the smooth top of the ruler and not worry about getting stuff out of the ruler markings. Created in Corel, used the method Aaron advocated in a recent thread about rulers.

Used two sided tape to mount it and mounted it so that when I vector cut along the x and y zero axis that it took a bit off to give me perfect alignment to these axis's.

Todd

Mike Null
01-26-2010, 2:26 PM
Both of my machines did the same thing.

I wonder if you couldn't use Cermark and stainless steel to get a better ruler.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2010, 3:12 PM
Throw some thick paint on it, then use a stiff squeegee to wipe off the excess. that should give you another couple of years.

Liesl Dexheimer
01-26-2010, 5:01 PM
I've taken a trusty Sharpie to our ruler bar, only a temporary fix though...

Dave Russell Smith
01-26-2010, 7:08 PM
Well a couple hrs of this being posted on Sawmill I get a phone call from the company I bought my laser through (Innovative Cutting Systems) telling me Epilog is sending out new rulers for me, as my machine is still under warranty. :D
Now how about that for customer care

Scott Shepherd
01-26-2010, 7:29 PM
:::: pssst ::: Dave....... start a new thread saying how your laser is too small and doesn't have enough power ;) Do it quick before they catch on :)