PDA

View Full Version : Art Institute of Chicago: Apostles of Beauty Exhibit

Ben Martin
01-26-2010, 1:16 PM
Has anyone had a chance to make it out to the Art Institute of Chicago to see the Apostles of Beauty exhibit? My wife and I are planning on making the trip out on Saturday and wanted to here some reviews. It looks very interesting from what I have been able to read online.

A quick blurb from their site on the exhibit:
One of the most politically progressive and aesthetically compelling artistic movements of modern times, the Arts and Crafts movement sprang from a rebellion against industrial life and mass-produced objects yet eventually united hand and machine in the service of beauty. Through 187 handcrafted, organic works by the movement’s most notable practitioners, Apostles of Beauty traces the movement’s origins in Britain to its blossoming in Chicago’s ripe reform environment. Highlighting a wide range of objects, including ceramics, furniture, metalwork, paintings, photographs, and textiles, the exhibition—the first to explore Arts and Crafts in over three decades—allows visitors the rare opportunity to see the movement unfold in the city where it reached its full manifestation and where many of its treasures still reside.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/exhibitions/ApostlesBeauty/index

Erik Frederiksen
01-26-2010, 3:51 PM
Sounds great, but a little far to visit from California. Do you know if this exhibit is going to travel near the bay area?

michael case
01-26-2010, 7:46 PM
For what its worth. I went to a similar exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. They concentrated on Greene and Greene. As a wood worker I found it well worth the visit. The Chicago show sounds great!

Ben Martin
01-26-2010, 11:48 PM
Erik,

I do not believe this is a traveling show, but I will get back to you after Saturday.

Michael,

I am not sure if this focuses on any one designer, but more of the general movement. Hopefully there is something on Greene and Greene though!

One thing I did notice, and read somewhere but can't find now, most of the furniture pieces are on loan from:

http://www.crabtreefarm.org/

Which is a private collection of Arts and Crafts everything put together by an ex-CEO of Sarah Lee. Here is a NY Times article on the collection:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/13/arts/design/13antiques.html

Unfortunately though, they do not offer regular tours of the estate, although the owner actually lives next door and not in this Arts and Crafts palace. But, the article does say that they occasoinally allow tours for scholary groups. Hmm, any Chicago Creekers want to try and arrange a tour? Sounds like it would be a heck an experience...

Ben Martin
01-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Why was this moved to the OT forum? :confused:

Keith Outten
01-27-2010, 12:04 PM
This is a time sensitive event.

These types of threads are not to be archived in our woodworking forums as they have no value after the event is over.

Ben Martin
01-27-2010, 2:52 PM
This is a time sensitive event.

These types of threads are not to be archived in our woodworking forums as they have no value after the event is over.

Thanks Keith!

I had seen some post in the past from the General Woodworking forum about Maloof and Krenov exhibits, that is why I put it there...