PDA

View Full Version : Minor wood gloat and Teak question.

Royce Meritt
10-21-2004, 11:02 AM
I finally get to chime in with a wood gloat (a minor gloat but not bad).

Last evening there was an auction down the street at a furniture repair shop that was selling out. There were a lot of tools but not much I needed.

However, they did sell some wood. I bought a wall rack full of oak, walnut, a little maple and some hickory. By my calculations I got $65.00 worth of oak. $40 worth of walnut plus a few $$ worth of maple and hickory and some lesser woods like cedar and pine. All for $35.00

The best was 3- 4/4 oak boards. 2 were 10" wide X 8' long and 1 was a full 14" wide X 8' long. The walnut was several pieces 7-8" wide X 48" long. There were also some 8/4 walnut, oak, maple and hickory. Perfect for my duck and goose calls.

Now my Teak question... In the "pile" was also 1 piece of 4/4 Teak. 6" wide X 24" long. Exactly one board foot. I would like to cut this teak and face glue it into 8/4 turning squares. I think the teak would make some gorgeous duck calls. What's the best way to glue this oily teak? I would like to use epoxy because of its weather-proofness. Will epoxy work on this teak? Thanks for your help.

Maurice Ungaro
10-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Royce,
Nice score! However, I think that oak is more valuable than you think......especially that 14" board! As for gluing oily woods like teak, I believe you are best off using epoxy. FWW had a glue article this past year backing up that claim too.

Maurice

Royce Meritt
10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
Royce,
Nice score! However, I think that oak is more valuable than you think......especially that 14" board! As for gluing oily woods like teak, I believe you are best off using epoxy. FWW had a glue article this past year backing up that claim too.

Maurice

Maurice-
I'm sure you are correct. I'm sure I figured low for the oak. I was going purely on BF price but that 14" wide board would definately go for a more premium price. Actually, in my neck of the woods oak seems a bit more reasonably priced than in other areas of the country.

Steve Clardy
10-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Clean up that oily teak with lacquer thinner before gluing.
I use just standard titebond yellow glue. Never tried the epoxy. Maybe next time.
Steve

Tyler Howell
10-21-2004, 2:31 PM
Great score Royce, Waiting to see the end results.:cool:

I have heard acetone for cleaning Teak with urethane glue!

Steve Cox
10-21-2004, 2:59 PM
When using teak for marine applications I've always used marine epoxy, no cleaning with solvent. Seems to work just fine.