PDA

View Full Version : Scrub Plane iron, cap, and screw

robert dankert
01-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi,
I have a plane with one marking on it: "K 240". I believe this is a Keen Kutter version of the stanley #40 scrub plane (made by Stanley?). My plane is missing the iron, cap, and screw. Does anyone know where I might get replacement parts for my plane? Would the Stanley #40 parts fit in my plane? These are available. They don't have to be Keen Kutter - I just want a user.

Also, I have spent some time searching the internet (including ebay) looking for info on the K 240. I have found KK 240. Does anyone know why there are K and KK's?

thanks for looking, Bob

David Gendron
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
The only thing I know is that the "K" are earlier than the "KK". So the "K" are more praised !

robert dankert
01-26-2010, 12:27 PM
David, thanks, I thought that was the case. I'm very new to hand tools so my knowledge is pretty slim.

Charles R. Smith
01-26-2010, 2:04 PM
Ron Hock makes a replacement blade for the Stanley #40. You might check with him (www.hocktools.com). Most replacement blades for a scrub plane are for the #40 1/2, which I think is 1/4 inch wider than the #40.
Charles

robert dankert
01-26-2010, 2:16 PM
Charles, thanks for replying Ron Hock lists blades for the #40. Bob

Sam Takeuchi
01-26-2010, 2:24 PM
Just the heads up on Keen Kutter planes. For bench planes, the difference between K and KK line of planes was that K series had bedrock design (early type 5 and earlier of Stanley bedrock) and KK series had standard Bailey line. K line was basically their premium line of planes. I don't know how that fit with scrub plane where design can't be much different regardless of design, though.

robert dankert
01-26-2010, 3:57 PM
Sam, thanks very interesting

James Taglienti
01-27-2010, 6:46 PM
It is true that "K" type bench planes were bedrock type, but the KK bench line was made mostly by Ohio tool, hence the additional tote screw on the smoothers (much like a stanley 5 and up). That is a dead Ohio giveaway. I think that the kk240 was a #40 size scrub plane, produced by stanley. i don't know if there was a kk240 1/2, but make sure you measure the plane and look on a tool website to match them up. as far as the parts, good luck, they will probably run you 1/2 to 3/4 of what a complete #40 costs. Pete Niederburger has a lot of parts and he is always selling. that's a place to start. you could also try to contact lie nielsen and st. james bay tool company. those parts may even be cheaper than vintage.

robert dankert
01-27-2010, 7:57 PM
Thanks, James.

I have tried several places (brass city, Patrick Leech, etc.) with no luck. I have not tried Pete Niederburger. I'll try him.

I have been watching #40's on ebay. The ones ending in the past week have been going for $40-70 (minus postage). St. James has blade, cap, and screw for $58.

I found a K240 body knob and tote only somewhere on the web - way nicer than mine for the asking price of $30.

The only thing the K240 has going for it is that my uncle gave it to me. I will keep it and hopfully use it. My only practical consideration is getting a blade and cap that will work.

BTW The mouth on my K240 is 1 1/4" wide.

Thanks for the info. Bob

James Taglienti
01-27-2010, 8:23 PM
If the plane was from a member of my own family then i would certainly treasure it. my own inherited tools have a special place in my own shop... perhaps you could fab something up from a 1 1/8 chisel and a wood wedge... it would be better than nothing at all.

robert dankert
01-28-2010, 7:52 AM
I had thought about just getting an iron (new approx $20) Didn't think about a chisel. Good idea. thanks

Dave Matson
01-28-2010, 6:19 PM
I was in the same boat after buying a sad Millers Falls 9 1/2 on ebay that was missing the same parts. The OEM parts are expensive so I ordered a 22mm ECE scrub plane blade (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=46873&cat=1,41182) from lee valley and ground it down on a stationary disc sander until it fit. The lever cap was made from a piece of brass bar, that was bent and grooved, and used a lee valley 1/4-20 knurled screw (http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&p=44203&cat=3,41306,41311) for tightening.

The previous owner had attached a wooden sole to the plane, which I removed after finding that it clogged too easily. It was fun getting the plane working again and even though it doesn't look like much it works well. After all its just a darn scrub plane - rosewood and surface grinding are overkill.

Sam Takeuchi
01-28-2010, 6:34 PM
That's a nice brass cap you made. It makes the whole plane look really elegant. I wish I had some kind of metal working skill.

robert dankert
01-28-2010, 7:31 PM
Dave thanks for the reply and links. That's a nice looking cap. I've never made anything like that, but it would be fun to give it a try. thanks, Bob