PDA

View Full Version : Mask and Eye Protection.....

Greg Johnson
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I have always had an issue with masks and eye protection, especially now that I need readers to see the tape measure....:( If I wear a paper mask, my glasses fog up like crazy. So, I usually have to choose which is more important.... glasses or mask. This past weekend I ate a bunch sheetrock dust and fiberglass insulation dust at the expense of being able to see what I was doing. I have to find a better solution. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has suffered with this.

So.... Does anybody know of a good mask and fog free reading glass combination?

Thanks,
Greg

Brian Tymchak
01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
I haven't tried these yet but I plan to soon. There are face masks with one-way exhalation valves that are supposed to eliminate or greatly reduce the fogging of glasses. Maybe someone here on the Creek can comment on how well they work.

Quick google came up with these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dust-Masks-Exhalation-Valve-Respirators/dp/B00286NGAA

http://www.amazon.com/3M-8511-Particulate-Sanding-Respirator/dp/B0002YKBV2/ref=pd_sim_k_3

Not sure about the fog free glasses... Maybe do what divers do? Spit on 'em.. :p

Don Morris
01-26-2010, 12:35 PM
There was a post on "Best shop respirator" on 01/24/2010 which you might find helpful. I wear glasses and have been using the half face mask (3M 7500 series) for years. While somewhat cumbersome I find them comfortable and do not fog my glasses. My son runs his own business and doesn't have a lot of time to do wwing, but when he has time he uses my shop and has his own mask (a match to mine) and a wrap around pair of safety goggles. They don't fog up when he uses them.

Baxter Smith
01-26-2010, 12:45 PM
The ones with valves work much better at eliminating the fogging of glasses. I ate a lot of dust before trying them. They are expensive(relatively) but wouldn't bother to buy ones without the valve now.

Warren Clemans
01-26-2010, 3:02 PM
I second the vote in favor of the 3m respirator. Anything that makes a good seal around your nose will keep breath away from your glasses (and will keep fine particles out of your lungs). Dust masks don't do that.

gary butcher
01-26-2010, 3:30 PM
As I wear glasses I tend to favor a 'dust bee gone' mask and visor for eye protection. The dust bee gone is spendy but seems to work very well and is better at not fogging than others I've tried. I also have a proper mask with filters and valves but it's awkward to use with my glasses

Anthony Scott
01-26-2010, 3:38 PM
I have this and it works pretty well:
http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95190-Woodworkers-Respirator/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1264538238&sr=8-23

These google DO NOT work well, they fog up:
http://www.amazon.com/Dewalt-DPG82-11C-Concealer-Anti-Fog-Safety/dp/B000RKQ1NI/ref=dp_cp_ob_indust_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1264538238&sr=8-23

Pat Germain
01-26-2010, 4:23 PM
This is the respirator I use:

http://www.amazon.com/7500-Professional-Facepiece-Respirator-Medium/dp/B000BR6XR6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1264540822&sr=1-5

It was recommended by The Wood Whisperer. It works amazingly well. Because it has an actual "down spout", my safety glasses NEVER fog up. It fits well, it works well and it's comfortable. You can order many different types of cartridges so you can use it for finishing as well as just dust filtration. It's also a very good value.

glenn bradley
01-26-2010, 5:09 PM
This one has done great for me for a couple years now. The 7500's are great for spraying but they block too much of my vision area for working around cutting tools. I have a narrow face (and beady eyes) so that could contribute to that issue. This one is very low profile on me and is OK for machine work. I paid $12 or $13 on Amazon and just picked up a slew of filters clearanced out of the tool section at the local K-mart. I have a half-mask for spraying.

Jamie Buxton
01-26-2010, 6:59 PM
Fogging glasses is nature's way of telling you that your mask is useless. Fogging is caused by exhaled breath exhausting through a bad seal at the top of the mask, so the warm breath is blown up at your glasses. If there's a bad seal at the top of the mask, you'll be inhaling air through it. That is, you're wearing a mask which isn't filtering the air you're breathing.

I too wear the 3M 7500 series. They seal to my face, and they don't interfere with my safety glasses.

Mac McQuinn
01-26-2010, 7:10 PM
Glenn,
What brand & model is this?
Thanks,
Mac

This one has done great for me for a couple years now. The 7500's are great for spraying but they block too much of my vision area for working around cutting tools. I have a narrow face (and beady eyes) so that could contribute to that issue. This one is very low profile on me and is OK for machine work. I paid $12 or $13 on Amazon and just picked up a slew of filters clearanced out of the tool section at the local K-mart. I have a half-mask for spraying.

Mac McQuinn
01-26-2010, 7:15 PM
I've used the 3M 8511 before for table saw work and it works reasonably well, You do have to spend some time getting the perfect fit. I use a 3M 6000 w/ P100 filters for any sanding.

As far as fogging, There use to be a product out there described as a Anti-fog solution, used by Motorcycle riders.....I think it applied as a thick cream and left a coating upon removal of the solution.

Mac

Greg Johnson
01-26-2010, 8:56 PM
This is incredible.... I started this thread this morning before I had to head to a couple of meetings, thinking I might get 1 or 2 responses...... Instead I get 11.:) Wow, what a great resource SMC is. Thank you all for your responses. I guess there is hope for a sweaty, bald headed swede full of hot air:o.... The great thing is, none of these solutions are going to break the bank.... I should be able to slide these by the CFO without any interference:D.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Johnson
02-02-2010, 9:44 PM
Once again a thank you to SMC for great info and here is a brief review. I just received my 3M 7500 respirator and put it to work doing sheetrock sanding (YUK!:(). I do have a sheetrock sanding vac attachment so the dust is not totally bad, but it is still a lot of work and I was sanding over my head. I was wearing reading glasses, ear muffs and the mask. I was totally soaked with sweat. The respirator was comfortable, I could not smell the sheetrock dust and best of all.... my glasses didn't fog up. So... I give the respirator a 5 star rating and thank the folks at SMC for the tip!:)

Greg