PDA

View Full Version : Resaw question

denis tuomey
01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Did some resawing over the weekend of soft maple, about 8" wide, put a new Timber wolf 1" blade on my 514x2, cut alot quicker then the 3/4" that was shipped with the BS. My cuts went nice n straight n followed the line but across the cut surface there would be 2-3" smooth followed by 1-2" of ridges, back to smooth n back to ridges. Anyone know what could be the cause of this?:confused:

Danny Burns
01-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Vibration in the blade.

Try playing with the tension a little, and make sure that the blade guides are snug and doing a good job.
If you have the guides just above the wood surface, to minimize the amount of blade between upper and lower guides, this will help too.

Mike Circo
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Stopping/starting of the feed. Also different feed rates.

Listen carefully to the sounds comming from your blade. The different sounds equate to how well the blade is cutting, how quickly sawdust is being extracted from the cut, and if the blade is cutting true or being pushed too hard.

Once you zone in on the right sound, you'll know. Pushed to hard causes sawdust to pack in the cut, and the blade may vibrate or deviate a bit. I see the ripples you describe all the time. I figure that without a power feeder I'll always have some occurance of that.

John Thompson
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Agree with Mike on probably feed rate from the results you mentioned..

Myk Rian
01-26-2010, 1:11 PM
Feed rate also.
You can tell when the blade is hogging out the wood, and when it's easy going.
When you go fast, it ripples.

jim gossage
01-26-2010, 4:00 PM
Another possibility is that the fence is not optimally set for blade drift. If not, the blade might gradually drift off parallel to the fence along with increased blade vibration, causing worsening of the cut.