PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper for Random Oribital Sanders

Joe Lasch
01-26-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm looking at ordering some sandpaper from Klingspor. Looking for advice on the best product to order.
My needs are for a paper that can remove existing finishes from pieces that have some contours to the wood. (Recurve hunting bows and longbows) My current sander is hook and loop, and would like opinions on that versus PSA disks. The dust collection isn't all that great, and the H&L disks are more expensive. Any other considerations?

Then, which type paper to order? Aluminum oxide, Alumina Zirconia, Heavyweight, lightweight, lubed or not? So many choices!

Given the type of work I am doing, do you have any recommendations or things I should consider?

Jamie Buxton
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
If you're trying to get your sander to conform to curved surfaces, you may be able to buy a softer backing pad for the sander. All manufacturers of H&L random orbit sanders regard the pad as a wear-out part. That is, the hooks or loops on it will eventually wear out. They offer replacement pads. Many manufacturers offer pads of different stiffness. For instance, Bosch, DeWalt, and Festool all do.