PDA

View Full Version : first turning, my head is spinning faster than the lathe

Patrick Doody
01-26-2010, 11:08 AM
So I decided to take a community ed woodturning class as a good way to learn the basics. Last night was my first class and it was a ton of fun, when i got home I proceded to start shopping for a suitable lathe for my shop. I currently have an old craftsman metal/wood lathe but it only has a 6" swing (i think that's what it's called) and doesn't seem big enough for what I want to do. before i took the first class I had envisioned myself making large bowls, but after perusing lathes and prices i think i've settled on making small bowls, duck calls, and generally smaller projects. Learning and building skills so when/if i want to make large work in the future I can upgrade.

The Lathe we're using in class is the Jet 1220 which seems like a great size for what I want to start out doing. what do you guys think of that lathe? any others i should be looking at?

Budget is a big concern because I really have no lathe tools or sharpening tools yet and i know that this is going to get really expensive really fast. with a 9 month old at home and me being the sole income source, we've been watching our budget pretty closely. At the very least I have access to free wood for practicing.

Any Advice for a newbie, where will my money be best spent? Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Patrick - Welcome to the wonderful world of turning...or as we who are already addicted call it - The Vortex! Be warned - this can be an expensive 'hobby' and will absorb huge amounts of your time - if done right!

The hottest lathe these days - at the Jet 1220 size - is the new Delta 46-460. Pricing seems to remain fairly consistent around $600 or so. There are a few recent threads on this lathe - so do a quick search for more info.

Antonio Martinez
01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Patrick,

I too have been sucked into the vortex! I have two lathes:

One a very old (black model) Carba-Tec mini lathe sold by Penn State Industries. The current model is their 4th generation. I called and ordered a belt for mine and was informed the belt was the only spare part they still carried for it. You can find them on eBay for around $50 - $75.

My other lathe is a 73 year old Craftsman (Atlas) Lathe. It's a monster! 54 inches long with a 10 inch swing. I just love that old blue beast! Every time I use it I think that FDR was President when it was made, and what has been turned on it, who has loved and cared for this old lathe?

Total price: $10.50 on eBay (plus $20 in gas to go pick it up).

The reason I post all of this is that it is MY opinion you don't need new to enjoy the hobby. Look around - use eBay, Craigslist (or http://www.searchtempest.com/ if you live in a metropolitan area to search multiple cities at one time) - use the keyword LATHE - you'll be surprised what you might find!

Willard Foster
01-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Since you don't have any turning tools I would start there. When I started I bought a Sorby kit with 8 tools or so. Looking back, I would buy individual tools as I need them. I also have a few tools I found at garage sales for 50 cents or so. I think most people didn't even know what the tools were for. They are not high speed steel (HSS) so I have to sharpen more often. I always make new handles, much larger and beefier.

You will also need a way to sharpen your tools, so start looking for grinders.

I bought an arbor from Woodcraft (or was it Lee Valley) that I use for my grinder. One of the wheels is a higher quality (white or pink) grinding wheels for final grinding, and the other wheel is a cheapo 60 grit from Menards that I use for general non-sharpening work. I already had a 1750 RPM motor laying around. I've also salvaged motors from washing machines for power. Lee Valey also has a grinding tool rest that I like.

I made my last set of scrapers. I bought a piece of A2 tool steel 1/2 inch thick and 1 1/4 wide 3 feet long. I ground and machined them before heat treating. Handles (of course) are also homemade.

Let your friends and coworkers know about your new hobby. They may know of some used equipment available. Craig's list is full of tools the owners "never had time for".

Good luck, hope to see some of your work.

Bill

Patrick Doody
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Guys i'll keep you posted on my progress, right now i'm making firewood and shavings. Good advice all around, I'll look into that delta lathe, sounds like it's a nice lathe.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Patrick....Welcome to the Vortex! It is IMHO the closest thing to instant gratification in woodworking.

Steve Mawson
01-26-2010, 10:51 PM
Patrick,
Welcome-you have picked a great place to start in woodturning. Tons of info and experience here. Like others have said there are lots of old used lathe's in many places. However most have their drawbacks but will still work with some TLC. If new is in the budget the Delta 46-460 is a very nice lathe. One key is that it will turn slow enough to start out of balance blanks. Good luck and keep us informed.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Welcome Patrick. Welcome to the black hole of turning. Like Steve said the Delta 46-460. Buy individual tools as you need them.