PDA

View Full Version : Florida Turners....

Walt Helms
01-26-2010, 10:52 AM
What kinds of "turnable" wood species exist in Florida? I see lots of Palms, live oaks, and some other's I can't identify. Usually when I encounter a large pile of logs, it's live oak or palm trees.

Where do you all get your wood for turning...is it all "imported" (bought from other states)?

Has anyone turned live oak? What were the results?

I started my turning hobby by doing segmented pieces, partially to save $$, but mostly because spending ~$50 for an "imported" piece of maple to practice on didn't make sense!

Are there any reputable wood-turning material distributors in FL?

Ted Calver
01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Walt,
I don't spend a lot of time in Florida but Norfolk Island Pine is available there and makes some spectacular turnings. Also check with local landscapers/arborists for exotics removed for construction.

Norm Zax
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Palm isnt really wood and I'd avoid it until you're quite experienced. Any wood is good for practice, even some shrubs with decent width of trunk. Avoid pine as it is not an easy wood to turn but oak, cypress, juniper, etc, what ever comes along. As you improve, you can buy (online) blanks of various us trees. Exotics are for stage three.
Enjoy!

Reed Gray
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
There are a lot of exotics that grow there. Do find a local tree service, and your closest municipal log dump, especially after your storms. More wood than you can shake a stick at.

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Citrus turns beautifully, but needs to be turned green and sealed as it gets attacked by a fungus. I have been told that removing the bark helps. There is also a native mahogany, especially in the southern part of the state and down in the keys. Cherry grows in the northern part of the state. I've also seen Australian pepper turned. Most of our club members turn local woods though I have bought a lot of exotics (like walnut and maple :D).

Chris Haas
01-26-2010, 6:20 PM
i live in the tampa area, there are a lot of pecans, indian rosewood, sycamore, maple, norfolk pines, and most of all Camphor. all are great woods and if you keep your eyes open on craigslist under free stuff, search for wood, there is always someone with a pile out front of there house. i stay away from oak, although there is a ton of it, just because it splits sooooo much. there is a lot of great stuff out there though.

there is also cherry laural, but i really dont like it.

charlie knighton
01-26-2010, 6:49 PM
i got some chinaberry from down there, it finishes good, part of the mahoney family :D

Joseph M Lary
01-26-2010, 7:32 PM
There is Camphortree ,China berry, Cypress ,Laural oak, Holly ,American elm, Myrtle oak, Red bay thats just a few , It get the Camphor it has very strong smell but it has some great red colors in it . Go to a book store and pick up a, Field Guide to Trees .

Dennis Ford
01-26-2010, 8:35 PM
You got some good advice already but I want to add that you should not discount live oak. It is not real easy to turn but is much better than most of the other oaks IMHO. I have had pretty good results from turning it to final thickness while wet, it warps a lot but stays together.