PDA

View Full Version : Rustaholics Anonymous?

Jim Koepke
01-26-2010, 3:12 AM
The slope is slippery another #4, type 10 this time, called out to me. Not sure why they attract me. I usually do not fettle my planes all that much but have bought a few that needed more than I like to do. Hmmm, I wonder if I should make an appointment with my medical clinic...

Actually, the tote is good, knob cracked, no blade, cap iron or lever cap. The frog was painted and the sole was rusted.

While the knob was on the lathe getting sanded, it dawned on me to give it a bead. So, it is now living on one of my type 6 #4s. Put another knob on the newer plane and did not realize it had a tight crack until I was looking at the pictures that were taken today.

Gee, and I just sold off an extra #4 sized Bedrock. Must be some hole in the universe directing them my way.

The blade that is type correct had a few too many pits, so a different blade is being used. It has its own problem. Maybe when it gets up to the low spot the ruler trick might be the way to go.

After lapping the sole and honing the blade, it does make some nice shavings.

Not sure what I am going to do with it. There are once again 4 #4s in the shop. I mostly use a type 6 and a type 9. I have a second type 6 that needs a little work. Have often thought of fixing it up and selling the type 9. Not sure why the type 6 holds any appeal other than the blade adjustment has a right hand thread and if all the planes of one size are the same, then there is not as much to think about when using them.

My name is,

jim

and I am a rustaholic.

Chuck Tringo
01-26-2010, 1:09 PM
may be a quatraholic would be more fitting...:D

Jim Koepke
01-26-2010, 1:54 PM
may be a quatraholic would be more fitting...:D

If the #2s were as common, I would be a duecaholic.

Same with just about any size Stanley plane.

jim

Dan Andrews
01-26-2010, 4:07 PM
I feel your pain Jim. My addiction is for hand drills, Millers Falls in particular. Do we attend the same RAA meetings or are they segregated by tool preference?;)

jerry nazard
01-26-2010, 4:13 PM
I feel your pain Jim. My addiction is for hand drills, Millers Falls in particular. Do we attend the same RAA meetings or are they segregated by tool preference?;)

Depends on who's bringing the beer....

harry strasil
01-26-2010, 5:47 PM
guess I am a woodaholic then, I prefer woodies and transitionals, but I have a full set of trans, so I quit buying unless they are in new shape, but some keep finding their way to my door looking for a home and I adopt them.

The last two I adopted, one of my girls came home with, a liberty bell jack and fore I believe. with the little lever adjuster at the back.

John Keeton
01-26-2010, 6:07 PM
There is help out there for you, Jim. Just not sure what or where!!!:confused:

Some nice shavings from that one - and, the fleet continues to grow. Thought you were converting to LNs!!?? I may have missed to post, but what did you end up with from the event, or has it happened?

James Taglienti
01-26-2010, 7:10 PM
I used some WD40 inside the house today and it triggered a phantom taste of "rust dust" like when it flies off of my wire wheel... that was scary...