PDA

View Full Version : Magic Eraser to clean your laser

Mike Chance in Iowa
01-26-2010, 2:20 AM
Tonight I was playing around with cutting out a stencil card for my Sweetheart on 2-color poster paper. I was being lazy and left the table in the laser. After I cut the card and removed the paper, the pattern was very visible on the table. I tried to clean it with all sorts of solvents. Nothing worked.

As a last-ditch effort, I tried using my Mr Clean Magic Eraser. Wow. :eek: Hmmm. What about wiping it on this gooky area? :eek: Hmmmm. Let's try this spot that is even worse. :eek:

The magic eraser did an amazing job cleaning my laser. It looks brand new. When the eraser became too black, a quick dunk under water and the eraser was white again and I continued cleaning.

I wish I could use the eraser to clean my vector grid. :D

Mike Null
01-26-2010, 4:42 AM
Try spraying full strength Krud Kutter on it and spray it off with a high pressure hose or garden hose.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2010, 7:18 AM
Try spraying full strength Krud Kutter on it and spray it off with a high pressure hose or garden hose.
The vector table, not the laser :p

Brian Robison
01-26-2010, 9:34 AM
Also, try a product called "Super Clean" from the auto parts stores. I've never seen a product work so well.
Better than Purple Power or Simple Green by far.

Scott Challoner
01-26-2010, 1:49 PM
"Give me Krud Cutter and a Magic Eraser and I can clean the world."
Archimedes

Daniel Reetz
01-26-2010, 1:53 PM
I don't yet have a vector grid for my Zing 24. As a result, I am constantly dealing with a dirty table. For the most part, I vector cut birch ply, which leaves a fair amount of black glue residue.

After trying alcohol, carb cleaner, and other solvents, I found, much to my surprise, that a wash cloth and water causes this glue residue to practically float off the bed. If things are really bad, I'll just use a scotch pad with water. Hasn't failed me yet.

Bill Cunningham
01-26-2010, 10:27 PM
I don't yet have a vector grid for my Zing 24. As a result, I am constantly dealing with a dirty table. For the most part, I vector cut birch ply, which leaves a fair amount of black glue residue.

After trying alcohol, carb cleaner, and other solvents, I found, much to my surprise, that a wash cloth and water causes this glue residue to practically float off the bed. If things are really bad, I'll just use a scotch pad with water. Hasn't failed me yet.

Go talk to your local heating/sheetmetal contractor/shop, and ask for a piece of aluminum fire grid to fit your machine table.. The aluminum grid is a 1/2" x 1/2" grid that's 1/2" thick you can make corner blocks to hold it off the table, and it works great as a cutting grid.. It's just like the plastic lighting grid, only aluminum

Daniel Reetz
01-27-2010, 8:31 PM
Very interesting, thanks for the tip! I was just about to purchase some aluminum honeycomb from McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com/#aluminum-honeycomb/=5kap0t) to do the same thing, but I'll check the fire grid option first.

Michael Kowalczyk
01-28-2010, 1:41 PM
Hey Daniel,
Just ask Mike Null. He makes them several different sizes. I have 2 of them and they work great.

Scott Balboa
01-28-2010, 4:49 PM
Yeah, Magic Erasers work great on a lot of stuff, and you never have to fuss with chemicals or excess amounts of liquid.

As far as cleaning the Cutting Table... I assume you'd want to mask off the connector port, right?