PDA

View Full Version : metal lathe?

gary butcher
01-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Is there any reason, aside from tons of woodchips in the works, why a small metal lathe can't be used for woodturning? I was looking at the small Grizzly 7x12 here (http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-12-Mini-Metal-Lathe/G8688)

It looks like it would suit my needs perfectly. Variable speed from 0-2500 forwards and backwards. Big enough swing to do my headphone cups and able to mill the insides exactly how I want them. And it's no more expensive and no bigger than a much less capable wood lathe (for my needs anyway).

Has anyone used a metal lather for woodwork?

Paul Atkins
01-26-2010, 2:22 AM
Yea, once and a while, but the cleanup is miserable. Sawdust in the oily gears and threads doesn't help much. Very accurate parts though.

Thom Sturgill
01-26-2010, 7:32 AM
My dad was both a gunsmith and violin maker. As a gunsmith he had both a lathe and a milling machine in his basement shop. He would occasionally turn wood on the lathe, especially to make custom violin pegs. Rebuilding a used South Bend lathe for his shop while in High School (60's) is what I learned on.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 11:24 AM
My question is if you are going to spend that much for a metal lathe why not get the Delta 46-460 or the Jet 1220? Just curious. My brother turned wood a couple of times on his metal lathe and cleanup was a major headache.

gary butcher
01-26-2010, 1:29 PM
the main reason I'm looking at the metal lathe is accuracy. I'm not a turner as such, don't do bowls, pens, calls etc. Just headphones, which need very accurately turned insides. Precise lip size, depth, diameter, that sort of thing. I have a standard wood lathe for turning the outsides but the insides are a problem getting each cup exactly the same inside.

I'm not very good at getting my cups exact by hand/eye. I was planning on buying the Delta but that wouldn't really help with my particular dilemma.

Paul Williams
01-26-2010, 6:41 PM
I have been using a 6" Atlas metal lathe for turning wood for 15 years. Just this year bought a Delta Midi. Clean up is a problem, but you can minimize the oil mess if you are going to turn more wood than metal. I like the accuracy and it does some operations really well. On the negative side unless you build your own banjo and tool rest you will have trouble with clearance over a tool rest held by the cross slide.

Allen Neighbors
01-26-2010, 7:50 PM
Why not?... other than cleanup, that is....
I turn metal on my Oneway... :D You oughta be able to go the other way... :)

gary butcher
01-26-2010, 8:42 PM
:)
I'll ponder on it some more, I like the idea of interior milling and I can do the outsides on my wood lathe.

Keith Outten
01-26-2010, 9:10 PM
A metal lathe would be the best choice for the job IMO. I would degrease the lathe and use only a dry lubricant, this would take care of the clean-up problem. Over the years you will probably see a little more wear on the lathe but it should not be a big issue since turning wood puts less stress on the gears and other components than metal.

The problem most people have using metal lathes for turning wood is going back to metal. If you use the lathe only for wood turning I can't see a problem.