PDA

View Full Version : How do I turn this part of a bowl?

Baxter Smith
01-25-2010, 11:51 PM
Since it was a nice sunny afternoon yesterday I went to the woodpile and cut out some blanks. One had several cracks so rather than anchor seal it, I put it on the lathe. Had hoped to make about an 11x4 bowl but the cracks went pretty deep. As I was cutting out wood to get to the bottom of one of those cracks along the side, this shape appeared.:)

Since it was a little different I figured why not go with it. After finishing the outside, I started on the inside. Have only been using a 5/8 inch gouge for all my bowls. It was too long and/or had the wrong grind to get in all the way. So a 3/8 inch wall thickness everywhere else is about 1 inch on that inisde corner. Just left it but was thinking about it again last night. It is not noticeable but should I have tried to turn a V on the inside to match the outside. Never thought about using them, but here are some tools that came with the lathe that I have never tried. Was this the time?

Another thought last night was that it looked somewhat like a spittoon. One more of my not so desirable designs!:)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Baxter....gorgeous wood...... I find the form interesting....

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2010, 12:12 AM
Baxter - sure is some pretty wood!

The tool best suited for undercutting bowls like this would be the swan neck or goose neck tool. Sometimes you can undercut using a scraper but it all depends on how far the tool has to reach. Also, because you are going to effectively be using a scraper - you will need to take some very light cuts when you finish up the hollowing - just to get rid of any tear-out. Hard to power sand in those inside shoulder areas!

Have fun with it! And - keep checking out that wood pile!

Scott Conners
01-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Yep, those are the right tools to use! Those look like pretty well made home brew hollowing tools. When using the swan neck, remember to keep the tool rest behind the curve, on the straight part of the shank, else the tool will just twist and catch.

John Keeton
01-26-2010, 7:29 AM
Baxter, that is some beautiful wood!! And, an interesting shape. Of course, not all of us are old enough to remember spittoons!!:D:D My grandfather's aim got really bad as he got older, and ultimately, he had his own corner on the porch! No one else would sit within a 6' radius of his 'toon!:eek:

Baxter Smith
01-26-2010, 7:45 PM
Baxter....gorgeous wood...... I find the form interesting....
Laziness(didn't get it split)and neglect does wonders! Interesting is a good word for it. Diplomatic!;)

Baxter - sure is some pretty wood!

The tool best suited for undercutting bowls like this would be the swan neck or goose neck tool. Sometimes you can undercut using a scraper but it all depends on how far the tool has to reach. Also, because you are going to effectively be using a scraper - you will need to take some very light cuts when you finish up the hollowing - just to get rid of any tear-out. Hard to power sand in those inside shoulder areas!

Have fun with it! And - keep checking out that wood pile!

Thanks for the info Steve. I will have to try turning something intentionally where they are needed.:) Have thought about trying some vases. Any suggestions for a good hollow form DVD? A real basic one! Went to the woodpile again today. Split one that I will cut into some blanks tonight.

Yep, those are the right tools to use! Those look like pretty well made home brew hollowing tools. When using the swan neck, remember to keep the tool rest behind the curve, on the straight part of the shank, else the tool will just twist and catch.
Thanks Scott. Will try and remember that! If I don't I guess I will be reminded!

Baxter, that is some beautiful wood!! And, an interesting shape. Of course, not all of us are old enough to remember spittoons!!:D:D My grandfather's aim got really bad as he got older, and ultimately, he had his own corner on the porch! No one else would sit within a 6' radius of his 'toon!:eek:

John, It wasn't too long ago that I thought decay was something to avoid when adding wood to my collection!;) Never had the pleasure of spittoons being used in our family but we do have one in our entryway!

Allen Neighbors
01-26-2010, 8:11 PM
Shame on you for calling a pretty bowl a spittoon... it's way too shallow for that. :) I like it.
Swanneck tool (leftmost in the pic) is the one. Make sure the cutting edge is in line with the straight portion of the shaft, and you'll have absolutely no torque. Just make sure the straight portion of the shaft is on the toolrest. Also, if the arc of the swanneck is arced upward a little, the cutter will be down just slightly, and you'll probably get a nicer cut. JMO. :D

Thom Sturgill
01-26-2010, 8:38 PM
Baxter, any of the three on the left would work and I'd start with the straightest and when it would not reach easily move up to the next one. Leave the swan neck until the others would not work. You'd be surprised how far over you can get with the regular bowl gouge though. I'd probably have removed the lip, but its still a nice bowl.

Gary Chester
01-26-2010, 8:49 PM
I wish my wood pile had wood like that in it... did you mention what kind it is... if you know.

And I like the shape, it's a bit different...

If you think it looks like a spitoon, then I wouldn't put it on the floor... I'd put it on the mantle. Maybe with a lid with a finial!

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2010, 9:49 PM
That is a interesting form and piece Baxter. Thom hit the nail on the head. Anyone of the left 3 would have worked.

Brian Effinger
01-26-2010, 9:56 PM
Nice bowl - I really like the form. Pretty wood too.

If it were me, I'd leave this one as is, and start on a new one. Of course if it was me, I'd probably mess it up trying to get it "just right". But that is just me and my luck. :)

Brian

David E Keller
01-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Pretty wood... That's a hell of a wood pile you're visiting. I would have tried to make the inside form mirror the outside form, but it's nice as is. With all that spalting color, the near misses if used as a spittoon will be less noticeable.:D

Baxter Smith
01-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Shame on you for calling a pretty bowl a spittoon... it's way too shallow for that. :) I like it.
Swanneck tool (leftmost in the pic) is the one. Make sure the cutting edge is in line with the straight portion of the shaft, and you'll have absolutely no torque. Just make sure the straight portion of the shaft is on the toolrest. Also, if the arc of the swanneck is arced upward a little, the cutter will be down just slightly, and you'll probably get a nicer cut. JMO. :D
Thanks Allen I will try it at the down angle.

Baxter, any of the three on the left would work and I'd start with the straightest and when it would not reach easily move up to the next one. Leave the swan neck until the others would not work. You'd be surprised how far over you can get with the regular bowl gouge though. I'd probably have removed the lip, but its still a nice bowl.
Thanks Thom! In this case I think one of the straight ones might have been enough.

I wish my wood pile had wood like that in it... did you mention what kind it is... if you know.

And I like the shape, it's a bit different...

If you think it looks like a spitoon, then I wouldn't put it on the floor... I'd put it on the mantle. Maybe with a lid with a finial!

Its Red Maple. I cut a lot of limbs off the next door neigbors tree last spring. Split some of it to burn but got lazy on the rest. Had this winters supply of oak already so.. Had never heard of "Bowl Addiction" at the time!

That is a interesting form and piece Baxter. Thom hit the nail on the head. Anyone of the left 3 would have worked.
Thanks Bernie.

Nice bowl - I really like the form. Pretty wood too.

If it were me, I'd leave this one as is, and start on a new one. Of course if it was me, I'd probably mess it up trying to get it "just right". But that is just me and my luck. :)

Brian
Its bagged and I've already taken your advice. Twice in fact!

Pretty wood... That's a hell of a wood pile you're visiting. I would have tried to make the inside form mirror the outside form, but it's nice as is. With all that spalting color, the near misses if used as a spittoon will be less noticeable.:D
I would have matched the inside to the outside but didn't know how to get there at the time!:)