PDA

View Full Version : webshop - design

Niklas Bjornestal
01-25-2010, 3:01 PM
Hi, i'm planning to remake a webshop and would like to get some tips on webshops that YOU ppl like (the design not the products).

Mike Null
01-25-2010, 4:10 PM
Niklas

Do you mean web site?

Niklas Bjornestal
01-25-2010, 4:35 PM
i mean web site with online shop

Dee Gallo
01-25-2010, 5:46 PM
Hi Niklas,

When I go to a web store, these are the things I like to see:

1. Easy to read words, no crazy graffiti style fonts
2. A simple interface with well-labeled pages, no guessing for navigation
3. A way to get back to the home page from every other page
4. Pictures, descriptions and prices all together if it's a catalog type site
5. Item descriptions which have real info, not just telling me how great xyz is and how many people love it.

Things I hate to see:
1. Flashing thingies - they are annoying and make me want to leave
2. Websites that make you sign up before you can see anything
3. Websites with no apparent way to order or contact the seller
4. Layouts that don't fit on the screen because the words or pictures are too big and then you have to scroll around just to see one thing or read one sentence

cheers, dee

Darryl Jacobs
01-30-2010, 4:08 PM
I think Dee nailed it 100%.

I would add, that you should also include shipping information and costs right up front or easily found at least. Especially important if you have an international marketplace that you deal with.

Absolutely, don't include the flaming logos and cutesy Flash stuff that Web designers like to waste your money on. It just annoys the viewers and slows their whole buying process down.

I do find that a "what's new" section is interesting and keeps you coming back to the site.... ONLY IF YOU REGULARLY UPDATE IT.

Cheers!

Darryl

Darren Null
01-30-2010, 4:32 PM
From the designer POV, my current favourites are this one if you don't need anything elaborate:
http://www.maianscriptworld.co.uk/free-php-scripts/maian-cart/free-paypal-shopping-cart-system/index.html

and this one if you need something a little more elaborate:
http://www.zen-cart.com/

Mitchell Andrus
01-30-2010, 5:12 PM
+1 for what Dee said. I'll add that each of my sites has a rule. From first page (entry page) to a page with an "Add to cart" button, 2 or 3 clicks.

I once got so lost into side clicks, suggestions, etc., on an Amazon shopping trip that I forgot to take my cart to the checkout page. Not good. So, keep it simple.

One of my carts is built on a BVC5 platform, the other is built on Able Commerce platform. I prefer Able.

Mike Null
01-30-2010, 9:01 PM
Dee nailed it.

Steven Wallace
01-30-2010, 10:13 PM
People doing e shopping have a real short attention span. If your home page doesn't hit them right... wave goodbye to them. Spend the most time getting this right along with Dee's suggestions.