PDA

View Full Version : Refinishing at Client Site

John Towns
01-25-2010, 2:04 PM
I have been asked to repair the worn finish at the patient registration workstation at a large doctor's office. The piece in question cannot be moved so I will have to do the work on site. The area involved is limited to the area where the patients stand to register when they arrive at the office. The finish and stain (red mahogany over red oak) has worn to bare wood in places). The process I am considering is:

Clean test area
Verify finish on existing piece -it is probable lacquer I will test
Remove existing finish in a pre-defined area
Apply stain - probably a waterbased stain that will dry fast
Apply finish - not too sure what I can/should use

I am concerned about the dry time and odor of the finish. The office is closed over the weekend so I will be able to do much of the work Friday evening and Saturday AM to allow for drying before the office opens on Monday AM. Am I asking for trouble by using lacquer (brushed on, I would imagine) in the client's site? What options do I have?

John

Phil Phelps
01-25-2010, 2:16 PM
If it was a flat surface, such as a counter top, I'd be talking them into Formica. A commercial area that is wood with a clear coat is asking for trouble. Couple that with a limited time frame, you could be in a pickle. Nothing is going to cure in 48 hours.

Lee Schierer
01-25-2010, 2:38 PM
You also need to consider your to and from time as part of your cost. You will also need to find a finish that will stick to the old finish. The only products that are likely to cure in 48 hours would be water born finishes. You'll need to do at least 3 coats in addition to the stain of what ever finish you apply. Unless you hang out in the office reading a book or their old magazines while the finish is drying you will have multiple trips to the site. This will all be off hour work since I don't imagine they want you in the office sanding and finishing with patients there. If you use a solvent based finish will they put up with the odor when they come back to work on Monday?

Billy Dodd
01-25-2010, 3:07 PM
If you're not having to redo the hole counter but just a small area I'd think that you could get by with just doing the small area. Use a wax and wash to clean the area and free it of waxes and oils. Stain it with the right pigments of stain you can use a glass saucer to mix your colors to get the perfect blend. When your satisfied use a good quality spray laquer to blend in the surrounding finish.