PDA

View Full Version : Finish room ceiling height

Rick Prosser
01-25-2010, 1:46 PM
I know about the benefits of a higher ceiling for the shop with regard to moving around sheet goods and such.

For a finishing room - is there any need /benefit for a high ceiling?

I am planning to build a finish room with a 8 ft ceiling and use the overhead for storage, but if there is a good reason to go higher...

Greg Portland
01-25-2010, 6:41 PM
What are you building? Last year I had to finish a bunch of 8' tall bookshelf units. I had to finish them all on their side due to height restrictions in my old shop. That isn't an issue as long as you have the shop width! (P.S., most of the finishing was done pre-assembly)

Thomas Bank
01-25-2010, 7:33 PM
For ease of moving things around, I doubt I'd go less than 8'-6" ever again. As Greg says, it all depends on what you plan to work on.

Rick Prosser
01-25-2010, 11:48 PM
What are you building? Last year I had to finish a bunch of 8' tall bookshelf units. I had to finish them all on their side due to height restrictions in my old shop. That isn't an issue as long as you have the shop width! (P.S., most of the finishing was done pre-assembly)

That is a good point...I would make bookcases from time to time, but could be finished on their side. A 9 ft ceiling would give me the option to have them standing.

Leo Graywacz
01-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Mine is 9'. Most of the time it is fine. Remember if you move things around on carts to include the cart and the tallest thing you will normally be working on.

The one mistake I made was I put a 7'2" tall door to get in the 9' room DOH!!.

Bob Lloyd
01-26-2010, 3:23 PM
I do not have a shop but as a contractor I have moved plenty of sheets and other things around in rooms with both 8' ceilings and higher ceilings;if I had the choice I would go at least 9'.

Steve Clardy
01-26-2010, 9:01 PM
My shop ceiling is 10' 10"
My finish room ceiling is 8'

Presents problems when moving 8' cabinets in there, yes.
As the other poster said, You have to finish them on their sides. Wish mine was 9'.

And don't forget the entry door height. :o
I put in a 42" wide door, but forgot about the height of the door. I should have put in a door for a 9' wall.

Dale Probst
01-26-2010, 9:18 PM
I like tall ceilings but if you are planning to use as a spray booth, they increase the amount of cfm you need to move to keep the air clean of overspray, etc..
DP

Leo Graywacz
01-26-2010, 9:24 PM
Only if you use the whole room as the draft area. You can have a booth.