PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1671 Router collet problems?

Brian Penning
01-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Anyone else have problems with bits coming loose with this router?
I just ruined a nice door while using a rabbet bit.
Yes, I know the bits have to be a bit above the collet
TIA

Bill Huber
01-25-2010, 2:10 PM
I have never had a problem with mine....

Now you state that the bit must be above the collet but that is not quit right. The bit must never be seated clear to the bottom.

If you had a bit that was long enough (straight bit) the cutting edge could still be above the collet but the shaft could be setting on the bottom of the hole in the router shaft and that's what you don't want.

pat warner
01-25-2010, 4:37 PM
One of the best collets, 1617.
Perhaps you'd like to disclose a few more details of the accident.
Table/hand rout, cutter above or below the work, depth(s) of cut, material, newness of cutter, quality of cut before it blew up your work.

Michael Heffernan
01-25-2010, 4:49 PM
Never had a problem with the two 1617s that I have. I do a lot of dovetails and general routing with 1/2", 1/4" and 8 mm collets.

Chris Friesen
01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Never had a problem with my two 1617s...they seem to hold a lot better than some of the others I've seen.

Did you have the collet gripping securely on clean bare metal (no grit, dust or paint) with the bit not bottomed out?

Anthony Whitesell
01-27-2010, 8:48 PM
I actually had the opposite problem. I could get a 1/4" bit into the collet, even while the collet was on the bench out of the router. I called Bosch. the tech rep was a bit stunned and sent me a new one right away. No charge.