PDA

View Full Version : drum sander: open end vs. closed

Karl Card
01-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Besides being able to do a 36 inch wide on an 18 inch drum open ended sander is there a quality difference in the machine itself or the wood that comes out in a closed ended sander.
appreciate any info at all..

Gene Howe
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I'll never again own an open ended sander where the head moves. The kind that has a rigid head and movable table seems like a better option, if you need the wider swath. Otherwise, a closed end sander is the best. IMO.

Robert Chapman
01-25-2010, 2:30 PM
My Jet 16-32 open ended sander is one of my favorite tools. It's a little temperamental to set up but once you get it right it does a great job. Sanding is my least favorite woodworking task. I do hardwood and keep 150 grit on the drum then I use the ROS at 150, 180 and 220 grit and I'm ready to finish. No planer marks.

Greg Portland
01-25-2010, 4:43 PM
Closed designs allow for a heavier (and/or larger diameter) drum which helps keep things cool (or allows you to sand more in 1 pass). Dust collection & head stability also tends to be better with the closed designs. Both designs have a quality range so one flavor is not always better than the other.