PDA

View Full Version : segment cutting sled build

Robert McGowen
01-25-2010, 10:11 AM
I made this sled specifically for cutting 15 degree segments. You can make it for any angle that you want, or even make it adjustable for different angles. I decided that a different sled for each angle would work best for me.

I am sure that there are many different ways to do this, but this is the way that I came up with that works best for me. (I re-used an old sled for the top, which is why there are so many holes in it already.)

The over-all view of the sled shows the basic parts.

I used an INCRA 1000 miter bar and handle for the runner in the miter slot. I found that this bar is superior to a handmade wooden runner. The bar is available separately from INCRA, so you do not need the entire miter gauge. I tried a sled with a runner in each miter slot, but I found that they "competed" against each other. It was simpler and worked better to have one well fitting bar in just one miter slot. The base is 2 pieces of 1/2" baltic birch plywood glued together. The basic parts are what I call the angle guide, the segment length guide, a hold-down for the segment being cut and also a hold-down for the piece of wood that the segment is being cut from. The back piece of wood is just a brace. There is a little piece of wood on the bottom right corner. I found that I kept reaching for something to push or pull back the sled with on the right side, even though it isn't really needed, so I added this to wrap my fingers around and pull back on the sled with.

I did not put a support on the right side of the blade that the board is on. I did this because any little variance in the straightness of the board is going to throw your angle off. It might not matter much in the inch or so that the segment makes up, but if the board is two feet long, it is certainly going to effect the way the board lines up on the segment end if the board is not perfectly straight. This way, as long as the one or two inches that is going to be the segment is fairly straight, you should get an accurate angle. I did end up compromising some, as I positioned the hold-down so that the corner of the base is up against the wood, which ended up supporting the wood quite well in two spots, the other spot being the hold-down itself.

I also cut a 15 degree angle on the end of the segment length guide. (Yes, I just drilled out the center of the stop on the drill press, but I am sure a router would do a much better job.) That way I can use it to cut pieces for feature rings, or triangles, etc.

The little piece of wood attached in front of the bridge at the front of the sled is for cutting small pieces of wood. The angled end lets the cut piece fall away from the blade and I know exactly where the blade is at all times. (I have 9.75 fingers thanks to a table saw and inattention and I don't plan on reducing that number any more!)

Please let me know if you have any upgrades that I might not have included or even an easier way to do things. Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Robert - everything looks well thought out to me! I haven't tried segmenting yet but was able to follow your description of the sled and your reasoning as to why.

You mentioned in another thread about no longer having to sand the pieces before gluing because of a new blade you changed to. I am curious as to what that blade is cause there is nothing more time consuming as sanding and if I can upgrade my TS blade to eliminate it - I sure would like to know!

Robert McGowen
01-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Steve,

I was using a new blade to make sure that the blade sharpness variable was eliminated when I evaluated the segments. The blade is just a 60-tooth Dewalt. I wait for them to go on sale on Amazon and then buy about a half dozen at a time. I am sure that it is more about holding the wood perfectly still and in a perfectly straight line than it is about the blade. Sorry, but no magic bullet here!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks for sharing Robert. That explains a lot. I have only tried one segmented bowl so far mainly just to say I did one. The way you explained it helps a lot.

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Well - that's a disappointment! I had hoped you had found a new blade that eliminated sanding and I was going to jump all over that!

Nice dream while it lasted!

Richard Madison
01-25-2010, 1:35 PM
Steve,
Agree w/ Robert about clamping and tracking straight. Been using an 80 tooth Freud for some years with no sanding except to match half rings or half cones.

Robert,
Looks good. Understand your reasoning but still prefer to back up the workpiece on both sides of the saw blade. Does not really matter though if both sides are securely clamped.

Steve Mawson
01-25-2010, 1:44 PM
Robert,
Thanks for the instructions. I believe I understand how you did it now. Just need to do it and make a piece.

Brian Effinger
01-25-2010, 4:30 PM
Thanks for the tutorial Robert. I have been thinking of building one recently and I think you have provided the winner. I found it really interesting that you only support the right side at one point. I wouldn't have thought that was a good idea, but your explanation makes sense. What is the other piece of wood for behind the fence? Is it just left over from a previous sled?

Brian

Robert McGowen
01-25-2010, 5:02 PM
Hi Brian and Richard,

The wood is actually supported at two spots on the right side of the fence. One spot is the hold-down pushing down on the wood. The other is the base of the hold-down. If you look at the photo running the length of the sled, you can see that the wood is actually up against the base of the hold-down.

If you think about it though, the entire board is supported and trapped at 4 spots until the last second when the board actually separates into two pieces. (a hold-down on each side of the blade, the wood angle guide on the left side and the base of the hold-down on the right side.) When the wood separates into two pieces, each side of the wood is trapped at two points with absolutely no pressure from the saw blade on it any more when you pull it back out of the blade.

YMMV :cool:

P.S. the piece of wood that would be closest to you across the back of the sled is just a reinforcement piece and to remind me not to cut the sled in half! I actually have a splitter on the saw now that I leave on and it stops the sled from going to far, so that potential problem was easily solved.

Norm Zax
01-26-2010, 6:11 AM
Very functional design. Thanks. Any cheap source for toggle clamps?

Dick Sowa
01-26-2010, 7:47 AM
Excellent tutorial and description. I too use several sleds, one for each angle. Mine evolved like yours did...a bit of trial and error, till I got what I liked. Two thoughts abut yours.

With the cut off segment being captured by the toggle, there is a risk of the blade nicking the freshly cut surface when you pull the sled back. My sleds use a small piece of dowel glued next to the sled saw kerf. When the segment is cut, it falls down and away from the spinning blade...zero chance of recontacting the cut edge.

Also, the front-to-back size of a sled really needs to be large enough, so that when you slide the sled back to retrieve the cut piece, the blade is safely buried behind the front brace. After a long session cutting segments, it is easy to get careless, and reach for the segment too soon.

Brian Effinger
01-26-2010, 8:53 PM
One more question Robert. How do you get the fence/angle guide set to the specific angle? Is it some sort of protractor, or geometry and a ruler?

Thanks again.

Brian

Robert McGowen
01-26-2010, 10:17 PM
One more question Robert. How do you get the fence/angle guide set to the specific angle? Is it some sort of protractor, or geometry and a ruler?

Thanks again.

Brian

You can pretty much guess to start off. I just cut a piece on a miter saw set at 15 degrees. I used it to set the fence the first time by referencing it off of the saw kerf in the sled.

Though it may take a bit to fine tune the angle, it is fairly a straight-forward process. I cut 12 segments and and fit them together with a hose clamp. This told me what to do next.

If the segments are tight on the outside, you need to decrease the angle. Do this by pushing the segment stop block up against the angle guide and tighten it down. Take the screws out except for one at the very end of the guide next to the saw kerf. This will be your pivot point. Put a piece of sandpaper or whatever between the angle guide and the stop block and push the angle guide up against the stop block and screw it down. Make sure you use a new screw hole or it might shift after you screw it down. This will decrease the angle the thickness of the sand paper.

If the segments are tight on the inside, you need to increase the angle. Do this by putting a piece of sandpaper or whatever between the angle guide and the stop block and then tighten the stop block down. Unscrew the angle guide as above, remove the sandpaper and push the angle guide up against the stop block, and then screw the angle guide back down.

I hope I don't have it backwards, but you get the idea. I start at 80 grit for the spacer and when I get to 2000 grit, I figure that is close enough.

(OKAY, I WAS JOKING ON THE SANDPAPER GRIT, BUT IT SOUNDS REASONABLE, DOESN'T IT? :D:D:D:D:D)