PDA

View Full Version : Estate sale finds

Mike Olson
01-24-2010, 11:06 PM
So, i went to an estate sale and found a transitional plane. which is one of the tools i have been wanting. I also found an egg beater drill with no markings on it that I could find. Could anybody give me a little more info on these items?

24" Transitional Plane with SsS Siegley on the Iron, no other markings. Is there a model or number for this plane? when was it made? best way to tune it?

12" egg beater, Maker, model, when it was made?

Thanks,
Mike

Jim Koepke
01-25-2010, 1:10 AM
Looks like an early Millers Falls drill. Maybe a #2?

Take a look at Georgesbasement dot com

jim

Dave Matson
01-25-2010, 1:42 AM
The drill looks like a goodell-pratt based on the casting of its main gear though I don't see this particular model in the one catalog I have. The presence of a steel tab that rubs against the main gear to keep it from slipping is another indicator of a G-P drill.

James Taglienti
01-25-2010, 8:11 AM
The plane looks like a SSS 31. Siegley was a plane company on the east coast that was bought out by stanley, who i believe continued selling the planes under the siegley name for a while. There are patented siegley iron planes that aren't worth too very much, bench planes and plow planes and maybe a block, and there are the "Bailey type" siegleys that are later. they are great users. There are siegley STS (tapered) and siegley SSS (straight.) as far as tuning, i would check the area in front of the mouth to make sure it is relatively flat. If not, flatten the sole a bit. Then get that iron razor sharp and go to town!

Dan Andrews
01-25-2010, 2:12 PM
Mike, That egg beater is a Red Head Mfg. Co. Inc. No. 110. Made in New York, USA.
I just completed the refinishing of mine, a recent aquisition from ebay. I don't refinish my drills unless they are realy bad. The japaning on mine was gone and the red gear was at 50%. The wood however was perfect. I think it is the best looking drill I have, but not the best engineered.