PDA

View Full Version : New video: Skew Practice session

Bob Hamilton
01-24-2010, 11:05 PM
I have had quite a few requests for a video on using the skew chisel, which I have been a bit reluctant to do because I feel that I am barely adequate with a skew chisel and am definitely not the right person to be advising anyone else on its use. I did record a practice session and it mainly points out that I really need more practice.... :D It is long and repetitive, just like my practice session. I hope someone finds if helpful.

The playlist is available at: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=97D6FE58157FFF2D

Take care
Bob

James Williams 007
01-25-2010, 4:11 AM
I have watched a few of your videos and they have helped me immensely. I have just turned my third bowl using a glue block or no chuck method that you demonstrated in a video and article and I have learned more from watching you than anyone else to date. I have been using my skew as a scraper so this video helped me understand how to use it correctly and effectively so thanks for all your help!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Bob - thanks for taking the time to put together the video! With your permission, I am going to post the link on our Turning Club newsletter as we have a number of beginners that will benefit from your videos!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing Bob. Great video.

Bob Hamilton
01-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks, all.

Steve, feel free to post it anywhere you like. :D

Take care
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2010, 12:21 PM
Thanks Bob! I know a number of guys that will appreciate the link!

Bob Bergstrom
01-25-2010, 2:30 PM
Bob,
I totally agree with your acessment of the oval skew. They have given up a lot of stoutness to sell something that possibly more people feel with help them master the skew. I buy !/4" to 5/16"thick scrappers and modify them. I grind a skew shape, then lay the frontal 1 1/2" on a belt sander with a Zirconia Alumina course belt. Grind away a taper on each side of the skew to thin out the thickness. Last I round the bottom to be able to roll the skew better on beads. The result gives me super stout skew that can get into places a fat one can't

Dennis Karcher
01-25-2010, 4:04 PM
Thanks Bob, thank you for sharing .

Jeff Rich
01-25-2010, 7:22 PM
In my illustrious career with a skew, there is one truth I have found.
The skew must be SHARP.
I thought I was getting a good enough edge by using a plain old oilstone.
I bought a set of diamond hones over the weekend and it made a huge difference!
I actually had shavings and control like you are supposed to have when rubbing the bevel and not pushing too hard.
Lesson learned.