PDA

View Full Version : It's "HAMMER TIME"!!!

Todd Burch
10-20-2004, 6:56 PM
I was asked to make this by the High School/Jr. High Minister as my church. Every winter during the the school year, they host a Saturday evening event for teens called ReMix. They have music, games, entertainment, food, etc., etc.

Last year, they did a skit, as Gallagher does with his big "champion", smashing watermelons (and tomatos, etc., etc...). The problem last was that they used a real sledge hammer, which, was a bit too dangerous and too heavy to be swinging out towards a group of kids. So, they put in their order for a wood version this last Sunday.

It's pretty big, (reference the 1 gallon can) but all the more effect! Even though it took three 8' 2X4's to make the blank for the head, it's really not that heavy, but plenty heavy nonetheless. I bought a replacement hickory maul handle at the Borg this morning and shaved off the fat "neck" so I could stab it into the pine head a bit deeper. I also removed the finish so the epoxy could penetrate.

I drilled a through cross hole (1/2" dia.) though the handle mortise when the blank was still square. I epoxy-filled the hole, drove the handle in as far as it would go, drilled through the handle and drove a hardwood dowel through the head and handle (a pin). Mechanical insurance, if you will.

As you see it below, the epoxy "face" is curing. Blue tape makes a good temporary lip to hold the epoxy on top while it sets. You can see I've done the bottom already and it is ready for sanding smooth.

So, lathe content.... First time I've turned in 5 years. I bandsawed the blank somewhat round after glue up so I could mount in on my 1948 Delta 12/36 lathe. I could not fit the tool stand underneath the blank, so I had to turn it 1/2 at a time. When the first 1/2 was turned, I flip the blank end for end and turned the other half.

All I used was a roughing gouge and a scraper, thank you very much!! When it was smooth enough for sanding, I removed the tool rest, stood on the back side of the lathe with my 50 grit belt sander and turned the lathe on. Quick work. Then, 100 grit. When that was good enough, I used 150 grit with a hand held sanding block. This was not fussy work.

Anyways, I'll call the minister tomorrow and tell him to come get it and fashion a criss-crossed leather-thong under friction tape handle for a better grip, with a top bulb, along with a wrist strap for safety.

All in a day's work!

The 2nd photo shows the end grain of the 2X4's through the epoxy.

Todd

Jack Hogoboom
10-20-2004, 7:58 PM
Todd,

Unbelievably creative solution. I have a hard time believing that any normal human being can lift and control that thing. Looks to me like it's more dangerous than the sledge hammer.

Jack

Chris Padilla
10-20-2004, 8:11 PM
You were just waiting for this forum to post that hokey thing! ;)

Don Abele
10-20-2004, 8:30 PM
Todd, that's a real interesting project for the new turners forum :p How much does that thing weigh? I agree, it looks like it'll be more dangerous than a real sledge. I'd hate to be in the path of the angry teen weilding it :eek:

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
10-20-2004, 8:36 PM
Now that's one Honking Hammer you built there Todd.:eek:
How about mounting a cordless Horn on it so folks would know when it's a COMING DOWN.:eek::eek:

Steve:)

Todd Burch
10-20-2004, 8:48 PM
Bathroom scale says it weighs 13 pounds. It should smash a mean watermelon!

Todd

Jim Becker
10-20-2004, 9:18 PM
Lookout! He has red eyes, a strange grin and a big stick! Run for your lives............ :D :D :D

(Nice hammer, Todd)

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
10-20-2004, 9:59 PM
I know at least a couple of guys who would borrow that to drive thumb tacks.(-;

John Miliunas
10-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Youch! That's one mean lookin' gu......errrrrr......hammer! Yeah. Hammer. :D I think Gallagher would be proud of you! :cool:

(BTW Jim....*YOU* can do something about those red eyes, can't you? :)

Wes Bischel
10-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Well, if the tenon doesn't fit . . . :eek:

I'm sure it will get more of a work-out than a few watermelons.

Wes

Louis Bois
10-21-2004, 7:48 AM
I've got a mildewy oak table base (that should've stayed in the sixties :)) that could use a few blows of that puppy! :D

Dan Gill
10-21-2004, 8:46 AM
"It's not a dicer, not a slicer, it's the Sledg-O-Matic!"