PDA

View Full Version : finally quit smoking

David Christopher
01-24-2010, 11:01 PM
16 days with no smoke after 36 years of smoking...I'm feeling pretty good and saving alot of money .....( almost $ 100 already )

Eric DeSilva
01-24-2010, 11:47 PM
16 days with no smoke after 36 years of smoking...I'm feeling pretty good and saving alot of money .....( almost $ 100 already )

Good for you! On Jan. 1, I passed the one year mark. I used nicorette gum to take the worst of the edge off it. It actually helped a bit during the period where you are most vulnerable to a relapse. It does get better--I went from thinking about smoking constantly to now having a sudden urge for a cigarette once every three days or so.

16 days and a $100? That sure makes you think some. Start sticking your savings in a sock and buy yourself a nice tool as a reward.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
David - Congrats! I know it can be tough but it is worth it! In just a few weeks you will notice a huge difference! I've got faith in you!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Congrats David! I quit.....4 or was it 5 years ago after 41 years of 1 1/2 packs per day.

It can be done and the urge does go away....

Hang tough Bro!

Ben Franz
01-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Kudos to you. You're over the hump now. It gets progressively easier and in a year or so you might even hate the smell. I quit about 25 years ago and still have an occassional dream about smoking again - weird feeling.

BTW, watch out for mass quantities of jelly doughnuts, etc. DAMHIKT :eek::eek::eek:

Mike Henderson
01-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Congratulations! And the best of luck in resisting the craving.

Mike

keith ouellette
01-25-2010, 1:38 AM
congrats. I quit 10 years ago last august. I kept the last few cigarets in the last pack I had used for years as a souvenir till my wife through them out while cleaning.

I found after a few months the cravings stopped so keep it up and don't give into the occasional temptation.

Every oce in a while Like once per year maybe I get a short lived urge to smoke but its never when I'm near someone who smokes.

I think thats because it reeks so bad i almost get sick now. I cna't believe I ever smoked.

dennis kranz
01-25-2010, 3:17 AM
You can do it. I was like Ken and smoked for almost 40 years. It has been about 7 years now and it does get better.
Dennis

Roger Newby
01-25-2010, 6:56 AM
Way to go:D It's been 8 years for me now and I don't miss it. Like the others said, it literally stinks once you get away from it. I noticed the other day at the grocery a carton of butts is over 50 bucks:eek: Don't take long to save some major money for buying tools and wood.:D

Paul Ryan
01-25-2010, 8:32 AM
Congrates David,

The better you feel the easier it is to stay off those dreadful things. And the money savings as well. Good for you.

David Christopher
01-25-2010, 9:03 AM
Thanks for the support guys, I think ill be OK if I dont choke to death on these cinnimon sticks..LOL

Jim O'Dell
01-25-2010, 9:29 AM
Just don't light them!!!! :eek:
I've said this before, my dad quit cold turkey back when I was about 5 years old. He was smoking 4 packs a day!! I never had the urge to smoke. ;) Jim.

Dave Storm
01-25-2010, 9:31 AM
David, Congratulations on the start of a journey that has a great destination. I am almost at 10 years since quitting and glad I did so. One of my "crutches" was putting the money I saved each day in the back of my wallet and at the end of the month buying myself a new tool for the shop that I could enjoy. I now have a shop full!!:D

Dave

Rod Sheridan
01-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the support guys, I think ill be OK if I dont choke to death on these cinnimon sticks..LOL

That's a good one David.

I'm cheering for you, keep up the good work..........Rod.

Tom Winship
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
Congratulations! I quit after 40+ years almost exactly 3 years ago. Like someone else, I used the Nicorette gum. Weaned off that to Spearmint. Haven't regretted it and haven't had the urge. I know if I smoked one, it would be back to a pack a day in a month.

Dick Strauss
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
David,
That's great! It is the single best thing you can do for a long healthy life!

Don't forget about all of the discounts on life, health, and homeowners insurance you may see in the future!

Charlie McGuire
01-25-2010, 1:27 PM
David,

Keep it up. I passed the 1 yr mark a week ago after 35 yrs of 1.5 packs/day. I still get urges, but nothing like the 1st month or two. I know if I have one, I'll be back into it full swing. Hang in there.

And yes, you DO get to spend the savings on tools :D

Phyllis Meyer
01-25-2010, 1:31 PM
That is AWESOME! You take every dime of that money you are saving and buy more tools!:D

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

David Christopher
01-25-2010, 9:54 PM
Thanks everyone, one more day down

glenn bradley
01-25-2010, 11:06 PM
Keep it going Dave. Congrats.

Bob Borzelleri
01-26-2010, 1:40 AM
David...

Glad to hear of your commitment to yourself. Some years back when I worked as a therapist, I found myself with several clients who wanted to stop smoking. One thing that helped them was to know that the actual physiological craving for nicotine has been measured in clinical studies to last less than a few minutes. Many people end up stretching the craving out for longer periods, but that is well beyond the appreciation of the physical desire. Beyond a few minutes, the craving switches from physical to a state of mind.

Bottom line is that denying the physical craving from onset to several minutes out puts you in the driver's seat and then the decision is truly yours to make.

Keep up the good work.

...Bob

David H. Mitchell
01-27-2010, 2:26 PM
I quit in July, after 2 packs a day for 42 years. Can't believe how much better I feel. I used an electronic cigarette and Chantix.

Dave

Tony De Masi
01-27-2010, 4:52 PM
Congrats on a great start David. Here's to a more healthy you.

Tony