PDA

View Full Version : My first spalted bowl

Brian Effinger
01-24-2010, 9:17 PM
This is a 8" dia x 1-3/4" h. spalted hackberry bowl - my first try at spalted wood and a slightly undercut rim. As an added surprise, there were numerous bug holes in it, packed with sawdust from the critters. After roughing and drying it a couple months ago, I picked the dust out of the holes and finished it a few weeks ago. The finish is danish oil that was later buffed.

139666 139671 139668 139667

The blank was bought from ebay, and came from Mississippi, I believe. Best part was, he threw in a couple of freebies. :)

I must say, I learned a thing or two about how hard spalted wood is to turn and finish. Fortunately I am stubborn and will tackle another spalted bowl again some time. :D

As always, comments, critiques and suggestions (and ridicule :p) are welcome and encouraged.

Brian

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 9:22 PM
Good looking bowl Brian! Beautiful wood and finish!

Really like the photos! Nice work!

Donny Lawson
01-24-2010, 9:25 PM
Very nice bowl.The holes add character.
Donny

gary Zimmel
01-24-2010, 9:27 PM
She's a beauty Brian....

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2010, 9:29 PM
Brian....it's real beauty even if it sprung a leak!

Great form.....beautiful wood! Nicely done Brian!

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 9:32 PM
That is a beauty for sure. Really nice wood and finish.

Michael Jasani
01-24-2010, 9:37 PM
Brian what a Beauty!!! Superb wood and great work! I guess the ebay seller thought this was a no-good piece of wood and thats why included a couple of freebies!!! Boy will he get a surprise if you send him the pictures!!!!

Gary Conklin
01-24-2010, 9:54 PM
Brian, great looking bowl. I love the voids gives it great character.

Baxter Smith
01-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Great looking bowl! I never cease to be amazed how much a little decay can add to some wood.

John Keeton
01-24-2010, 10:12 PM
You done good!!! Nice form, great looking wood, and gotta love those pics!

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
That's nice. I love the look of spalted wood, and this piece has got it all. Great color and a nice form to show it off.

Brian Effinger
01-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the nice comments guys. :) I appreciate it.

Brian....it's real beauty even if it sprung a leak!

Yeah, it was interesting finishing it. I poured some DO in it like Bill Grumbine does in the video, so I had to really pay attention to how I tilted it. ;)

Brian

Gary Chester
01-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Great shape and great wood. I like how the light sneaks thru the bowl in a couple of the photos.

Ray Bell
01-25-2010, 1:34 AM
Beautiful. I am about to tackle one of these. Did you have to add CA or any other "hardner" while turning? It looks like the end grain on the piece I have is awfully punky.

If mine turned out half as nice as this I would to happy. Great job.

Tony De Masi
01-25-2010, 7:53 AM
Nice work there Brian. That spalted stuff can really have some surprises in it, as you found out. Great photos too.

Tony

steven carter
01-25-2010, 8:10 AM
That's a dandy bowl Brian. Way to hang with the spalted wood!

Steve

Rob Cunningham
01-25-2010, 8:19 AM
Nice work Brian. Beautiful wood, finish and form.

GLENN THOMAS
01-25-2010, 2:37 PM
Brian,

First of all nice bowl. That looks like Maple, is it? I have tried a few pieces of spalted Maple and I was just wondering if thats what you have. I had a really tough time turning it because it would tear out on me real easy. After a little practice, sharp gouges and shear cuts can get a smooth surface on the outside with no problem but not the inside. The end grain on the inside gives me fit more often than not. I dont see any tear out in your picture so whats the secret?

Brian Effinger
01-25-2010, 4:39 PM
Beautiful. I am about to tackle one of these. Did you have to add CA or any other "hardner" while turning? It looks like the end grain on the piece I have is awfully punky.

If mine turned out half as nice as this I would to happy. Great job.

I didn't try any hardener, except for the foot. I wanted that area good and hard so the bowl wouldn't fly out of the chuck. As for overall punkiness, it wasn't too bad. The light areas are definitely softer than the darker areas though. You can feel it when you rub your hand on the surface. That is one of the challenges for future bowls.

Brian,

First of all nice bowl. That looks like Maple, is it? I have tried a few pieces of spalted Maple and I was just wondering if thats what you have. I had a really tough time turning it because it would tear out on me real easy. After a little practice, sharp gouges and shear cuts can get a smooth surface on the outside with no problem but not the inside. The end grain on the inside gives me fit more often than not. I don't see any tear out in your picture so whats the secret?

It is hackberry - a southern tree, I believe.

I didn't get much tear-out on the outside, but got some on the inside - right on the end grain. I tried getting rid of it with a freshly sharpened bowl gouge and scraper, but neither worked. In the end, my big secret tool was the 80 grit gouge. :D Seriously, though - sandpaper. I was able to sand out most of the tear out, but there is still a little left. Fortunately for me, there is a lot going on with the wood, so the remaining tear-out isn't as noticeable.

Thanks everyone.

Brian

Bill Bolen
01-25-2010, 4:52 PM
Beautiful piece and great pic's too...Bill...

GLENN THOMAS
01-25-2010, 7:22 PM
80 grit you say, I guess my secrets are no longer safe!

GT

John Keeton
01-25-2010, 8:08 PM
Brian, which hardener did you use?

Brian Effinger
01-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Brian, which hardener did you use?

Not a specific hardener, John, just a little thin ca glue. Squeeze a little on, and let it sit a while. You just have to be careful not to get it all over the place. ;)

Jon Lanier
01-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I love spalted wood. Great job on it.