PDA

View Full Version : Best shop respirator?

Dan Mitchell
01-24-2010, 9:08 PM
I seem to be fairly susceptible to saw dust, often getting a sinus type headache after some fairly dusty sanding. I have a central dust collector, a JDS 750 ER air cleaner (which I often forget to turn on, unfortunately) & I connect my Bosch ROS to the shop vac when I use it, but I'd like to get a better respirator (currently have a single filter rubber one that's on its last legs). Also, I'd like to have one that blocks solvents, contact cement fumes, etc. OH, and can it be FAIRLY CHEAP, too :D ???

Any suggestions?

TIA

Dan

Richard Dragin
01-24-2010, 9:42 PM
3M 6000 half face with the appropriate cartridge for what you are doing. The key is that it fits properly so get the right size and learn how to wear, fit test and maintain it.

There are more expensive but you said cheap.

Nathan Callender
01-24-2010, 9:51 PM
I used the 3m 7600 I believe. It has two pink filters and it's as bulky as their more popular 7700 series. You can put charcoal cartidges in it for solvents as well, and offers great filtration with the pink filters that last for quite a while. It fits me well, is snug and the rubber seal is comfortable and I can wear it for hours without problems. I had gone through several others, and it's just a matter of fit and preference. BTW, get N100 filters, not N95. There's a big difference!

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Maybe it is just me but think you would need two. One for solvents and another for dust. I would never wear a big old mask working in dust.
I have this one for dust and works very well.(maybe this is the one you have now?) Purchased at Sears.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413AXKH7DFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Rick Moyer
01-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Maybe it is just me but think you would need two. One for solvents and another for dust. I would never wear a big old mask working in dust.
I have this one for dust and works very well.(maybe this is the one you have now?) Purchased at Sears.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413AXKH7DFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Same here. I like it for dust.

Paul Ryan
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Same here. I like it for dust.

That is the one I have as well. Where do you guys find filters for it. I bought it from Amazon, and haven't been able to find filters local.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 11:20 PM
That is the one I have as well. Where do you guys find filters for it. I bought it from Amazon, and haven't been able to find filters local.

I get them at Sears.

glenn bradley
01-25-2010, 12:13 AM
I have the one Dave and Rick have. It was $12 on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95190-Woodworkers-Respirator/dp/B0000BYE9Q/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1264396322&sr=8-10). I just picked up 4 boxes of 4 filters (http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-95191-Replacement-Woodworkers/dp/B0000DCBDS/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&s=industrial&qid=1264396322&sr=8-16) each for $6 on clearance at K-mart of all places. Super comfy and really leaves your field of vision open but, this one is just for dust, not fumes.

Glen Butler
01-25-2010, 1:30 AM
The great thing about SMC is you never know what you are going to learn. I never thought about using a rubber mask for dust work, but I have hated the white filters cause they are so uncomfortable, I am going to sears tomorrow.

Dan Forman
01-25-2010, 4:07 AM
I have one from the 3M 7500 series (1/2 mask) . You can change from dust filters to ones for organic solvents. It conforms to my face better than the one I had previously, and uses a thin, flexible mask material that is comfortable. I might get another just so that I don't have to change the filters to go from dust to vapor.

Dan

Jeremy Brant
01-25-2010, 7:33 AM
I have the North Safety 7700. Very comfortable and you can buy all sorts of cartridges for it. It doesn't interfere with headphones either. I bought it through coastal safety off Amazon. It was the mask recommended through my 40 hr HAZWOPER class.

Matt Meiser
01-25-2010, 8:01 AM
Another vote for 3M. And with them, you don't have to have 2 because they make different cartridges. The body is cheap enough I just bought 2 but I use the organic vapor catridges with pre-filters when spraying and the dust cartridges when doing dusty woodworking or any significant welding.

Tony Bilello
01-25-2010, 8:29 AM
The twin cartridge filters work very well and obviously last twice as long between cartridge changes. The down side is that they are heavier and more awkward.
Like someone said earlier, proper fit is everything. If you have a beard or mustache. it will have to be trimmed to a particular size and shape to get a good fit. Wrap the cartridge with a plastic garbage bag of sorts or the typical plastic bag you get when you go shopping. Make sure the wrapping is air tight. Put on the respirator, if you can still breathe, it is not properly fitted. With a proper fit, you should not get any air at all and when you breathe in, the mask should suck up your face in the process.
I only use the organic vapor cartridges. They are good for spraying epoxy, urethanes, lacquers and varnishes. There are other cartridges just for dust.
These masks and cartridges can be had at any paint store.

Tony Bilello
01-25-2010, 8:42 AM
Looking back at some of the other suggestions got me to thinking that maybe 2 respirators would be in order for you.
A single cartridge for dust and a double for organic vapors. That way you wont get the two mixed up.

Nathan Callender
01-25-2010, 8:49 AM
Just as a point of reference, I also have the AO Safety one, and I don't use it any more, (except for when there are visitors in the shop). I do like the size and weight! The things I don't like about it are that the rubber seal didn't fit well, so it was always too tight. I thought that was just how all masks were until I tried a 3m one and the rubber is much better. Also, the filters were hard to find locally for me so I ordered off of amazon. They don't last nearly as long as you would expect. Also, they are N95 and not N100 which I think is a necessity if you want good filtration. I looked all over for N100 filters for the AO Safety one, and couldn't find them (and it makes sense - there's probably not enough room in the housing to fit a N100 filter).

It's not a bad mask at all, and the price, size and weight are perfect, but these are the reasons I upgraded to the smaller 3M mask.

Rick Moyer
01-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I had bought a bunch right away when I bought the mask. Good to know they may be available at Sears or Kmart.

Don Morris
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Another vote for the 3M 7500 series. Versatile as has been said. Just change the filter to what the procedure requires. Wood dust, or chemical vapor. It's very comfortable to me.