PDA

View Full Version : Small box roughouts

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 8:45 PM
Cherry box roughouts please keep in mind i have never worked with wood so all critiques, comments and opinions are allways welcome.

"small gloat" of the Cherry i got day befor yesterday free.
1.) i cut some of it into maybe 4x4 blocks.

2.) rough them into what i think was good.

3.) painted them to keep from drying to quickly.

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 8:47 PM
Missing some pictures? Nice gloat on the cherry.

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 8:50 PM
seems i can only post one photo hmm not sure y.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 8:53 PM
That some good looking wood. You can actually post 5 pictures 2 at a time and then one.

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 8:55 PM
Painted :

going to try to restart my pc and see if that clears some error or some thing.

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 8:59 PM
That some good looking wood. You can actually post 5 pictures 2 at a time and then one.
i cant seem to get it to work right tho Bernie

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 9:13 PM
Eric - congrats on all the Cherry! Love turning that wood!

Let me know if you have any more problems posting photos.

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 9:23 PM
Thanks Steve and the prob seems to be on my end i can see now IE is not running right. I'll try and fix it befor i post any more.
The point of this post was to find out if painting it was the right thing to do and if i needed to put it in a bag after i painted it.

Mike Peace
01-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Your post said box roughouts. If you do plan to turn the wood into boxes, I would recommend rough turning to a 10% wall thickness both the top and bottom of the box and then tape them together with the hollows facing each other. This is the process Richard Raffan describes in his book on making boxes. By rough hollowing you can get the blank ready to finish turn in months depending on your local conditions. Otherwise it can take years to dry enough to finish turning a box.

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 10:24 PM
I'll second the Raffan suggestion although I think he tapes them base to base with the hollowed areas facing away from one another... I haven't read his book, but that's how he does it on his videos.

Eric, It seems as though you may have left the walls a little on the thick side. If the pith is relatively well centered, there shouldn't be a tremendous amount of distortion when drying, so you can go thinner. The 10% rule seems to work for me.

I've not bagged or painted in the past and haven't had much trouble with cracking. I've lost a few here and there, but I'd rather burn a few than spend a bunch of time with anchorseal or paint. The bagging might be something to try.

I'd also recommend that you label them with the species and date they were roughed. If you do a bunch of them at different times, it can be difficult to remember what it is or when you roughed it.

Gary Chester
01-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Nice color in that wood. I usually rough them out and bag them for a while and have had pretty good luck... lots of ways to do it.

Oh... be careful... you're gonna get that tablesaw all rusty.:rolleyes:

Kyle Iwamoto
01-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Just curious. Are you turning side grain? I usually turn end grain for boxes.

Eric Kosanovich
01-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Yes Kyle side grain.

David Hullum
01-25-2010, 12:03 AM
Ya I wish I could turn a cherry bowl. We don't get much of that here in Texas. :(