PDA

View Full Version : Proud new owner of LN #2 and LV #4!

Tony Shea
01-24-2010, 6:34 PM
I pulled the trigger on the classified ad the other day that listed a LN #2 bronze bench plane and a LV #4 bench plane. The planes ended up being in almost brand new condition and really can't see where he even made shavings with them. The blade irons were also extremely sharp and sharpened properly. I ended up leaving out of there with those two planes for $220. I think I did ok for myself and have fallen in love with the LN #2. I never thought that I would have much use for a #2 but I was way off. I think this may get more use than any other planes I own except my LN Model Makers plane. Damn that thing is a workhorse, especially considering it's size. Very happy customer.

Bruce Page
01-24-2010, 6:40 PM
Nice score! The LN bronze planes are beauties!

Maurice Ungaro
01-24-2010, 7:00 PM
......BTW, you suck!

Dan Andrews
01-24-2010, 7:22 PM
I'd like to see pics! I hear they are both realy fine tools. Congrats.

Tony Shea
01-24-2010, 8:52 PM
Yeah, that is my goal in the next couple of days is to post some pics. I've never posted a pic on any forum before but have been seriously contemplating it as I want to get some feedback on some projects. Great way to utilize forums like these and just haven't taken the time to take advantage of it.

The LN bronze planes are beauties!

Stuningly beautiful. Probably my beautiful tool I own, almost a peice of art. Almost afraid to use the thing due to it's looks.

Verne Mattson
01-25-2010, 1:36 PM
The #2 is definitely an underappreciated plane. I'm glad you're enjoying and using yours. They're made to be used!

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-25-2010, 2:31 PM
Awesome score! Congrats.

So forgive my newbie ignorance - what do you do with the no.2? I'm assuming you use the No.4 and follow up with 2 for an extra smooth finish?

I've been finalizing all planing with a 4.5...

Jim Koepke
01-25-2010, 3:00 PM
Awesome score! Congrats.

So forgive my newbie ignorance - what do you do with the no.2? I'm assuming you use the No.4 and follow up with 2 for an extra smooth finish?

The #2 is great on small projects. Mine is used on things that would get lost or could be hidden under a #4-1/2 or even a #3 or 4.

jim

Sam Takeuchi
01-25-2010, 3:18 PM
At what plane you smooth your board or stock isn't really important as long as stock is appropriately prepared. If you are obsessed with super flat board, you can even finish smooth with a #6 or 7. The idea of using a small plane to finish smooth is that the plane follows the surface humps and bumps without skipping low spot. In most cases, precise flat surface isn't necessary as long as it's relatively flat. If you are finish smoothing with #4-1/2, that's fine. You don't have to go for smaller plane unless #4-1/2 isn't reaching low spot. Doing it again with #2 achieves nothing at that point.

Tony Shea
01-25-2010, 3:41 PM
You don't have to go for smaller plane unless #4-1/2 isn't reaching low spot. Doing it again with #2 achieves nothing at that point.

Sam Takeuchi pretty much answered you correctly. A #2 plane isn't neccesarily going to give any smoother of a surface than using a #4 or #4.5. It's basically just a matter of what feels comfortable while using it and what your goal with using the plane is. I have a lot of small projects taking place right now, small boxes and drawers, and the #2 just fits these size projects better than smoothing with my #4. I also use the #2 for chamfering edges instead of using a block. I just like the feel of the #2 for some reason. I get a more consistant chamfer than if I was using a block plane. It's really just a matter of taste, and the #2 is not going to flatten board for you very effeciently. Oh and the LN #2 Bronze is just incredibly beautiful as well.

Randy Bonella
01-25-2010, 4:56 PM
I have the Bronze LN #2 and works wonders on small area squirrely grain. Very easy to control and covered what was needed.

Randy...

Awesome score! Congrats.

JohnMorgan of Lititz
01-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Good points...I was thinking inside my own world...larger boards for furniture. Never even thought about the difficulty of planing pieces for a small box or other small parts of a larger project with a 4.5. A no.2 would certainly be the tool for the task.

James Taglienti
01-26-2010, 7:50 AM
Man i would love to try a LN #2 i bet it's heavy as a rock and built like a tank...

Kris Lasure
01-27-2010, 1:11 PM
I picked up a #2 several months ago and I get a ton of use out of it. It's perfect for smallish work and couldn't imagine not having one now.

If anyone has the extra cash, I'd recommend getting one.

Tony Shea
04-04-2010, 8:18 PM
These are some long overdue pics of the planes that I picked up that day. I just finally took the time to figure out the pic function. So here goes my first attempt at posting pics.

jerry nazard
04-04-2010, 8:48 PM
Tony,

$220 $220 $220
You suck big time.
Beautiful planes!!!

Zach England
04-04-2010, 9:03 PM
Any opinions of the Veritas 4? I don't see it discussed much--probably because good vintage no. 4 planes are so ubiquitous. My Stanley 4 has never been a great plane for me and I have been thinking of replacing it with a LN or Veritas just to try something different.

I do have the 5 1/4 from Veritas, which looks like it is built similarly to the 4. The adjustment mechanisms and grip are very unique. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did I came to love it.

Jim Koepke
04-04-2010, 9:07 PM
These are some long overdue pics of the planes that I picked up that day. I just finally took the time to figure out the pic function. So here goes my first attempt at posting pics.

Looks like you have it figured out.

jim

Jim Koepke
04-04-2010, 9:16 PM
Any opinions of the Veritas 4? I don't see it discussed much--probably because good vintage no. 4 planes are so ubiquitous. My Stanley 4 has never been a great plane for me and I have been thinking of replacing it with a LN or Veritas just to try something different.

I do have the 5 1/4 from Veritas, which looks like it is built similarly to the 4. The adjustment mechanisms and grip are very unique. It took me a while to get used to, but once I did I came to love it.

Zach,

I am curious about your Stanley #4 and what it is doing or not doing that has you unhappy with it. Also, what type/date it is.

Of course, the other side of the coin may be that if you like the Veritas plane's adjustment mechanisms more, it doesn't really matter what the Stanley is doing.

jim

Zach England
04-04-2010, 9:44 PM
Zach,

I am curious about your Stanley #4 and what it is doing or not doing that has you unhappy with it. Also, what type/date it is.

Of course, the other side of the coin may be that if you like the Veritas plane's adjustment mechanisms more, it doesn't really matter what the Stanley is doing.

jim

There's nothing wrong with it--it is just that it isn't right for me. I am not sure why, really. I don't know the type--never bothered to figure it out. It has a LN iron and chipbreaker and a knob and tote that I believe are ebony. Mostly I find it uncomfortable to grip. It feels too small for my hands. I have a number of larger planes both from Veritas and LN, along with some vintage Stanleys, and more and more I am finding that I prefer the Veritas against the similar Stanley or LN. My Ln no. 5 is great, but I like working with the Veritas BU jack much more. The same goes for my LN 4 1/2 and Veritas BU smoother.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2010, 1:48 AM
There's nothing wrong with it--it is just that it isn't right for me. I am not sure why, really. I don't know the type--never bothered to figure it out. It has a LN iron and chipbreaker and a knob and tote that I believe are ebony. Mostly I find it uncomfortable to grip. It feels too small for my hands. I have a number of larger planes both from Veritas and LN, along with some vintage Stanleys, and more and more I am finding that I prefer the Veritas against the similar Stanley or LN. My Ln no. 5 is great, but I like working with the Veritas BU jack much more. The same goes for my LN 4 1/2 and Veritas BU smoother.

Understood and you surely now know why my advice to people looking to buy a new plane is to try and get a hands on test drive before opening the wallet.

My most recent purchase is a Lie-Nielsen #62. I really like it, but the feel of it is so different from any of my other planes that it feels weird using it at times. It just doesn't have all the built in finger rests like a Stanley bench plane has.

Up to a point I do not think type/date is real important. I do prefer the earlier planes, but I have been working on a type 17 (WW II production) #5 that is working out real nice. It is different from my type 9 or 11, but it is still a great user plane after being fettled.

jim

Tony Shea
04-05-2010, 8:54 AM
I have grown to like the LV #4 a lot but it def took me a while to get used to it. I like the feel of the handle a bit better than the Stanley/LN style as there is not a large bump that is supposed to ride in your palm. That bump will actually cause a sore spot in my hand after a long session of flattening a board with my Stanley Jack and Jointer planes. Then once I move on to the LV smoother it's like a breath of fresh air except it's in my hand that I notice it. But the comfort comes at a bit of a price and that is in its' adjustments. I can't pull the LV adjustments off with one hand while in the motion of planing like I can with the Stanley design. That is where I still haven't completely gotten used to the LV style and probably never will. Needless to say I love the LV plane a really have it tuned up well. I have it taking full width shavings that are in the .001"-.002" range without a problem. Here's a pic of some edge shavings of cherry (which aren't as telling as full width) that I just recently took a quick snap of.