PDA

View Full Version : Vuq

Harvey M. Taylor
01-24-2010, 5:52 PM
Hear Ye, Hear Ye, participants to this here forum [you know what a forum is, dont you? it's a two um and a two um}.Now for my Very Urgent Question:Just finished roughing a long run of wet bowls etc. Put them in brown paper bags surrounded by dry wood chips sealed and labeled them. Then like the proverbial baseball that kept getting bigger, it hit me. Should I have slathered Anchor seal on the end grain to slow the drying? Please answer quickly, or I might be hearing a cracking noise from inside the paper bags./ Frustrated in Ft. Worth,Tx. Thanky.

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 6:12 PM
Harvey - when I first started bagging bowls as a means to dry them - I packed shavings around them and double bagged them just to slow down the drying process. Worked fine and I didn't use any anchorseal at the time because I had never heard of it.

Should work OK as long as the bowls are not in an area of heat.

Wally Dickerman
01-24-2010, 6:17 PM
Since you asked the question I think that you know the answer. You've gone to all of that work, why would you take a chance on cracked wood? YES, coat at least the end grain with Anchorseal.

Wally

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 7:09 PM
Harvey I do like Mahoney does. I coat the whole bowl and stack them at floor level. So far I have around 18 or so that have been drying for 1 month to 5 months with no cracks. I weigh about 3 of them at random just for my curiousity.

Steve Mawson
01-24-2010, 7:24 PM
In Bill Grumbine's DVD he coats the end grain with Ancorseal and then puts it in a bag. I turn some pieces that are fairly dry and have not coated however if the blank is very wet I always seal the end grain and then do the waiting thing.