PDA

View Full Version : Sawn 1984 - Turned 2010

Baxter Smith
01-24-2010, 4:37 PM
The idea for this turning came from John Keeton, or more specifically his wife.;) So if you see this John, thank your wife for me please!:)
This 8x8 cutoff came from a 16 foot white oak timber that was sawn on a portable bandsaw mill in 1984. Always hoped I might find a use for it someday - other than blocking! The other end became a bent girt in my daughters bedroom. Didn’t know that at the time though!

Wanted to turn something that could be used in the house, but also retain a little of its history. That included the 4 weathered/bandsawn sides and the end where I had cut it off by hand after going around it with a circular saw. Had never done a lid so wanted to try that as well. After blowing out the recessed dovetail on the bottom, I ended up with 4 out of 5. The wings were only supposed to extend on the ends but remounting the faceplate in a hole resulted in having to return the entire outside. Then I thought I would add a few digs for good measure!:eek:

Will need to find a clear glass dish that fits inside the top for dip.
Always felt there was no contest between red and white oak when it came to heat ouput in the stove or hardness when dry. Turning this did nothing to change my mind!

Saturn or White oak Chip and Dip. 1 coat of BLO then 3 of Antique oil.
As always, comments and suggestions are welcome!

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 5:32 PM
Baxter - interesting concept and design! I don't have a lot of experience with Oak - but think you would want to use a poly or something to seal it or you will end up with dip in the grain. Could look real cool - for the first few weeks or so....

Pretty wood though - intense color!

John Keeton
01-24-2010, 6:10 PM
Baxter, love your timberframe!! And, the bowls turned out great as well. I will inform my wife of her wide spread sphere of influence!!

White oak has such a much better character, at least to me, than does red oak. When we did our frame, RO was the only thing the framers used.

I think that will make a neat conversation piece, and functional as well. Using the glass insert dish is probably a good idea for dip.

Were you physically involved in cutting/building the frame? It looked like it would be a real adventure if one had the time.

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 7:04 PM
Pretty wood with nice rays. I prefer the bowl without the lid... looks like a good place to park cracker for the dip.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 7:11 PM
That is definitely some pretty wood and prefer it without the lid.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-24-2010, 8:57 PM
Turn the top over Baxter ;), there's much more room for dip in than the top :D, and White Oak is impervious to liquids, that why they use White Oak for wine barrels.
However I would understand that some people would frown upon using that bowl for something like that, but it would be perfectly fine for the wood, maybe you can find a larger glass bowl to fit that side though, or what about two bowls of chips and a dip bowl on the side :D :D

Baxter Smith
01-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Baxter - interesting concept and design!
Thanks Steve. It is different! I had only wanted to use boiled linseed oil to match the timbers in the house but went with a little more protection.:)

Baxter, love your timberframe!!

White oak has such a much better character, at least to me, than does red oak. When we did our frame, RO was the only thing the framers used.

Thanks John. The house is a mixture of red and white. Whatever they had for logs. The white is more bug resistant so I when I did the flooring on the first floor I ordered white oak.

I think that will make a neat conversation piece, and functional as well. Using the glass insert dish is probably a good idea for dip.
That was the only purpose! :D The inside of the top has a lot of cracks in it.

Were you physically involved in cutting/building the frame? It looked like it would be a real adventure if one had the time.
Yes. Other than the raising day(and there have been 3)it has been a one man job. After unloading the timbers with a borrowed tiltbed farmtruck it was all block and tackle, comealongs and canthooks. Put together the first two bents one summer, lived in the two story bay, then added two more bents the next summer. No real building codes here at the time so I could more or less wing it. A couple more additions later. All the timbers laid across those sawhorses to be cut, chiseled and planed. The chisel handle and dogwood root mallet were some of my early turnings that I had to do first!:D

Pretty wood with nice rays. I prefer the bowl without the lid... looks like a good place to park cracker for the dip.
Like the rays as well. When I forget about the pain it was, I will do a "regular bowl" out of the next section.:D

That is definitely some pretty wood and prefer it without the lid.
Thanks Bernie and the lid will be removed for use!:D

Turn the top over Baxter ;), there's much more room for dip in than the top :D, and White Oak is impervious to liquids, that why they use White Oak for wine barrels.
That was the plan! :D The inside of the top has a lot of cracks thats why I was thinking glass liner for the dip! Figured it would be a lot easier to clean.

However I would understand that some people would frown upon using that bowl for something like that, but it would be perfectly fine for the wood, maybe you can find a larger glass bowl to fit that side though, or what about two bowls of chips and a dip bowl on the side :D :D
Thought the bottom would be fine for the dry stuff as is. May go with the two chip bowl and dip on the side though. Wanted to do the split between the two bowls higher up so one would have been much larger than the other, but there was a horizontal crack so thats where I split it. In retrospect, that would have turned away and been fine.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!