PDA

View Full Version : Scams Against the Elderly

Ted Calver
01-24-2010, 3:52 PM
Just found out that the wife's 86 year old mother was scammed out of nearly 5K by someone claiming to be a lawyer representing her grandson in an accident/DUI case in Toronto. Without checking with anyone (she says the lawyer told her not to tell anyone) she sent a money gram to some shyster in Canada to bail him out. She even talked to someone claiming to be her grandson and she said he had such a bad cold she could barely understand him. Happened ten days ago and we just found out. Grandson called her to say hi and she realized what she had done. He's never been in Canada. Needless to say we are very frustrated and angry. Can't even think which of the authorities to report it to. Any ideas?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2010, 4:06 PM
Ted,

My Mother was scammed by some one calling from Canada claiming to be my youngest son......jailed there on a DWI charge.....needed $3,000. My Mom asked why he didn't call his wife....the caller stated they were having marital problems.....Mom asked why he did call me..his Dad....He replied he didn't want his parents to know...My mother doesn't have that kind of cash so she contacted my brother who wired the money to a "WALMART" in Canada. Then the person called back needing more.....at which time my Mother realized she'd been had....the person had my brothers home phone from the cash transaction to Canada....so they called....my SIL answered...gave them my brother's cellphone......where upon my brother smelled the scam.

A few weeks later it was in the local paper that this scam had happened several times here in Idaho Oregon and Washington......My Mom lives in Indiana....My MIL found out it had happened in Illinois where she lives....

It's a common scam and according to the paper has revived itself several times.

Ted Calver
01-24-2010, 4:45 PM
Grrrrr...I'd like to get my mitts on those guys!!!