PDA

View Full Version : Need help making a semi-large branding iron

Garrett Ellis
01-24-2010, 3:08 PM
working on a project for a friend's wedding gift...

i'd like to brand a large wooden lid with something like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__nEqMeS-14I/SLWIKjCA6LI/AAAAAAAABm8/Yufurehlna4/s400/ahc-10067.gif

-the a&m letters with state of texas around it. the brand itself would be ~12"x12"

i was thinking about drawing it and getting it laser or water jet cut out and then just welding a rod to it... does this seem like a good plan? i'm not sure how the texas shape and the a&m letters will overlap, would it be better to have 2 different branding irons? 1 for the letters and a 2nd one for the state outline?

another option i was considering was to CNC some patterns and just router out the shapes, but then i wasnt sure how to make it have a burned in look after routering it out.

any suggestions welcome! thanks

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2010, 3:20 PM
Hi Garrett, I use a small branding iron, and it takes some practise to get an even brand.

I couldn't imagine trying to brand a 12" X 12" image.

My suggestion would be to have the completed object laser engraved.

On another point, being a dumb Canadian, I'm not sure about the image, is that a copyrighted image from A&M?

If it is, I wouldn't be reproducing it without permission.

Regards, Rod.

John A langley
01-24-2010, 3:32 PM
Sorry my resources don't include Texas A&M. I can get the Kansas Jayhawk or the Kansas State Wildcate branding iron.

Andrew Schlosser
01-24-2010, 9:17 PM
You'll have to consider the cost of getting that big branding iron machined. I'm guessing a 12x12 platen would cost a few hundred dollars. So if you're just doing one, I think a laser burner would be your friend. With some practice, I bet you could get alot of detail with your router and a V-bit.

Nonetheless, I ran into a guy at the York PA woodworking show in 2008 that custom made branding irons. I can't seem to find his brochure right now, but I think he was from New Hampshire. A quick websearch leads to this guy http://www.brandingequipment.com/
He custom machines each branding platen on his mill. He eye balls cursive writing!

Chris Barnett
01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
You might have some luck visiting weldingweb.com; folks there would know who to contact or where you can have one fabricated, perhaps by welding. Does not look that difficult for a weldment, but the other process mentioned might be a bit expensive. You can make it similar to that shown but just don't make money on it. A BIL graduated from there; good luck.

Paul Atkins
01-25-2010, 12:57 AM
How about routing it and then using a big old soldering iron to burn the grooves?

Eddie Darby
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Find someone that has a CNC wood burning table and have them do it for you.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26599

Garrett Ellis
01-26-2010, 1:55 AM
How about routing it and then using a big old soldering iron to burn the grooves?

thought about that but not sure how even/consistent the woodburned portion will look... maybe if i fill all the grooves with some oil and light it... :D

can laser engravers fill in big areas, like big block letters? all i ever see is engraved script on small boxes or pens...

Andrew Schlosser
01-27-2010, 7:35 AM
you might also consider routing the design, painting the whole surface (the routed path and the top surface), sanding the top surface to remove the paint. This will leave you with the painted routed path. If you are careful with masking and do this is a multiple steps, you could even do multiple colors.