PDA

View Full Version : turning pepper/salt grinders

cody michael
01-24-2010, 2:26 PM
where is the best place to buy a quality inexpensive as possible pepper/salt grinder kit?

Paul Atkins
01-24-2010, 2:37 PM
Inexpensive as possible grinders do not grind pepper very well. Salt grinders should be ceramic or stainless so they do not corrode, also. I've had too many grinders that were junk and got very frustrated while cooking/eating. My 2 cents.

Curt Fuller
01-24-2010, 3:05 PM
Inexpensive as possible grinders do not grind pepper very well. Salt grinders should be ceramic or stainless so they do not corrode, also. I've had too many grinders that were junk and got very frustrated while cooking/eating. My 2 cents.

I'll second that. There's only a couple bucks difference between the good ones and the cheap ones. You put too much effort into the woodworking to use a cheap grinder mechanism. A guy in our club makes grinders as a business and these are what he uses. He buys them in bulk at a discounted price and sells them to us for his price.
http://www.chefspecialties.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/18

cody michael
01-25-2010, 7:12 AM
okay thanks
maybe my problem was i looking at big ones the 4 inch are alot more reasonable

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2010, 11:10 AM
I get the deluxe mills from CSUSA or Packard Woodworks. Get the ceramic for salt as was said. I have made quite a few and have never had a problem with any of them.