PDA

View Full Version : wood craft chuck?

cody michael
01-24-2010, 2:23 PM
is this the chuck a good one? most bang for the buck? anything that is better for similair price?

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020042/18872/1-x-8-TPI-Self-Centering-4-Jaw-Chuck.aspx

Curt Fuller
01-24-2010, 3:11 PM
I think there must be a factory in China that makes that chuck for Woodcraft, Penn State, etc. They all seem to be the same. But, if you don't mind a chuck that uses the two bars to tighten and loosen it instead of a scroll key I think it's a good chuck and a good price.

Mike Stephens
01-24-2010, 3:32 PM
I have a Oneway Talon and an OG Oneway scroll chuck that operates with tommy bars. I bought the OG OW after I had owned the talon for some time. Now I am selling the talon so that I can purchase another OG OW which I greatly prefer over the keyed talon.

There is nothing wrong with tommy bar operated chucks. You may just prefer it.

Good luck with your purchase,
Mike

Paul Douglass
01-24-2010, 3:43 PM
I have one with the tommy bars and one with the key. I like them both, doesn't matter to me. I just as easily lose the the two bars as I do the key... got to get organized someday! That one has some pretty good reviews.

gary butcher
01-24-2010, 4:17 PM
new to the myriad acronyms and such used here, what is OG?

Mike Stephens
01-24-2010, 4:20 PM
Sorry Gary I am lazy when it comes to everything except woodworking and beer drinking.:) OG stands for original.

gary butcher
01-24-2010, 4:38 PM
Thanks Mike.
I can accurately guess most of the time but I still bump into some I can't :)

Joseph M Lary
01-24-2010, 7:27 PM
I bought one 2 1/2 years ago, it has done everything i needed it to do, I would like to get a bigger one now but have a hard time parting 300 to 400 to get a bigger one.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-24-2010, 8:43 PM
Don't compare the Oneway with those far east copies, they are just not the same, as this fellow just found out.

David Hostetler
01-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I have that chuck, and it works well. I don't know what all the hubbub about Tommy Bars is. I thighten and loosen one handed no problem. But I have big hands...

The chuck will hold well. The only times I have had stuff come off my chuck is when I tear off a tenon and get beaned by a flying bowl blank... Not the chucks fault at all...

Tom Giacomo
01-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Go to PSI they have the same chuck on sale for $89, and includes two sets of jaws and they throw in a set of jumbo jaws free, but you get no case.

cody michael
01-25-2010, 7:10 AM
is there a significant difference between the woodcraft and psi chucks compared to this barracuda? http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSC2000C.html?mybuyscid=5030450020

Donald Barfield
01-25-2010, 9:16 AM
I started with that chuck. It works well but I recently bought a keyed chuck from Grizzly for $99 and like it much better.

David Hostetler
01-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Go to PSI they have the same chuck on sale for $89, and includes two sets of jaws and they throw in a set of jumbo jaws free, but you get no case.

The blow molded case is REALLY nice to keep things organized...

Do you guys know if the PSI jumbo jaws will fit the Wood River chuck?

Michael Mills
01-25-2010, 5:08 PM
I have had one of those for over a year and it did work fine. I how have a Nova SN2 and would have to say, the generic worked OK.
Problems for me with it
Jaws not stamped well (numbers)
Jaws will fall out if extended too far. Even with my reading glasses it took trial and error to find out which one was 1 or 4, or which one was 2 or 3. I finally took my dremil and engraved them once the chuck together.
Caught the serrated part with a gouge and the end broke off. I do not know if they are cast iron but they are much softer than HSS. (the gouge showed no damage)
The tommy bars never bothered me.
I later purchased the small jaws for light work. Their jaws are much less expensive than the Nova so that may also be a plus.

On the other hand..
The keyed chuck is somewhat easier to me.
In my opinion a Nova is much better made (even if they are made in China also)
Unless they have a deal on shipping, the one in the picture is about $100+ with tax and shipping?
You can get the Nova G3 with insert on ebay for $125 total.
Mike

cody michael
01-26-2010, 7:38 PM
can you show me a link to grizzly one. the only grizzly i saw was like 45$ does the 45$ grizzly chuck work?