PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Scraping Plane Insert

Gil Knowles
01-24-2010, 1:47 PM
Hi
I have an old Stanley No. 4 and I thought I would purchase this attachment.
I am wondering if anyone has one and what they think of it.
Many thanks.

Carl Maeda-San Diego
01-25-2010, 12:44 AM
I just bought one about a week ago.
I have it in a No. 5.
It works but its' only good at taking very very light scrapes and it appears that they don't make the heavier scraper blade anymore so that's about all its' good for.
Also, the fitting of the blade is a little finicky. The set screws on the side will move the scraper blade when you screw it down. It took me a while to tighten the set screws with the scraper blade in the proper position.
It looks like if I use this, I'll have to finish up the surface with hand planes a little more than I thought before trying to use this.
I only used the plane insert for a few hours and so maybe someone with more experienced can give you a better idea.

James Scheffler
01-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I just bought one about a week ago.
I have it in a No. 5.
It works but its' only good at taking very very light scrapes and it appears that they don't make the heavier scraper blade anymore so that's about all its' good for.

It appears from looking at the picture that the blade is a simple rectangle of spring steel. Is that correct? I was thinking that it wouldn't be difficult to make a blade by cutting down a larger card scraper. That way, you could get whatever thickness you were looking for.

I've been thinking about buying one of these, but I would definitely want to take thicker shavings.

Jim

Eddie Darby
01-25-2010, 10:55 AM
I have Dremeled smaller blades for use from larger stock. It works, but it is no work horse.

I just wish that Lie-Nielsen or someone else would come out with a scraper attachment for my LN #4 1/2 and #4. They offer you exchangeable frogs, so why not exchangeable scraper attachments? Then the Bench Planes would be almost as versatile as the Low Angle planes.

Jim Belair
01-25-2010, 1:31 PM
I looked at one in the store several months back and the sales person who's their resident planes guy kind of steered me away from it. And not towards any higher ticket item either, that's not their style. I gathered it's not one of LV's "gems".

Jim B

James Scheffler
01-25-2010, 2:18 PM
I looked at one in the store several months back and the sales person who's their resident planes guy kind of steered me away from it. And not towards any higher ticket item either, that's not their style. I gathered it's not one of LV's "gems".

Jim B

Is the Lee Valley cabinet scraper generally a better choice? http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,310&p=46266

Their scraping planes are out of reach for me. I have some card scrapers but I think it would good to have one with a sole.

Thanks,
Jim S.

Mark Salomon
01-25-2010, 3:20 PM
Hamler does make a very nice scraper replacement for your frog. His production is small so you may have to wait for awhile. Check out Chris Schwarz' comments:
http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Hamler+Scraper+Inserts+The+Last+Batch+For+A+While. aspx

Mike Brady
01-25-2010, 5:21 PM
Having owned both of the items you mention, the #80 cabinet scraper from LV is the superior tool for the job. The plane insert was a vibrating frustration for me. A dedicated scraper plane is the best, of course. There, I got the LN 112.

Gil Knowles
01-25-2010, 5:22 PM
Thanks for all the replies.
From the sound of things I will pass on the insert and save up for the Veritas scraping plane.
Does anyone have any experience with it?

Sam Takeuchi
01-26-2010, 2:13 AM
I have a Veritas scraper plane and it's a great tool. If you have no experience with a scraper plane, you might want to take a bit of time to get accustom to how it works. Once you get the hang of it, it does a beautiful job where other planes struggle. For me, I like Veritas handle, so I feel comfortable with it, but if you prefer more traditional type of handle, might want to look at LN scraper, or go for vintage Stanley #112. Either way if you work with hardwood often, I think scraper plane is something you should have access to.

Jeff Hallam
01-27-2010, 7:38 PM
For those of you that haven't completely discounted the LV scraper insert, I have one in excellent condition that I will gladly pass on to someone who needs it. I'll say it once more, "Free LV scraper insert". I've had it sitting in a corner for over a year now waiting for a new home.

You pay shipping and it's yours, first to respond in this thread. Please don't ask for it if you plan on reselling it, i'd like it to be used by someone who needs it.

Cheers and happy woodworking.

Jeff

James Scheffler
01-27-2010, 8:59 PM
For those of you that haven't completely discounted the LV scraper insert, I have one in excellent condition that I will gladly pass on to someone who needs it. I'll say it once more, "Free LV scraper insert". I've had it sitting in a corner for over a year now waiting for a new home.

You pay shipping and it's yours, first to respond in this thread. Please don't ask for it if you plan on reselling it, i'd like it to be used by someone who needs it.

Cheers and happy woodworking.

Jeff

I'll take it! If you PM me and let me know the shipping and other details, I'll send you a check. Wait, will US funds be a problem? Maybe pay pal? Let me know....

Thanks,
Jim