PDA

View Full Version : Chuck for almost "novice" turner?

Mike Weaver
10-20-2004, 2:28 PM
Folks,

I'm looking for some advice on what chuck to add to my Christmas Wish List...

I've turned some chisel handles without the aid of a chuck and even butchered a sort of bowl from a chunk of spalted maple before, but I've never made a real bowl.

The lathe I have is a newer version of:
Rockwell/Delta 12" variable speed lathe (http://www.oldwwmachines.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1682)

I know many prefer the Oneway style over the Nova style because it will grip a straight spigot AND a dovetail.

It it worth it to pick up a cheap scrolling chuck until I outgrow it?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Mike :confused:

Ted Shrader
10-20-2004, 2:45 PM
Mike -

I fall into that category. I got a Oneway Talon. Seems easy enough to use so far.

Ted

Harry Pye
10-20-2004, 2:48 PM
I have a Oneway Talon chuck and am completely satisfied with it. If you are sure you will stick with woodturning, it makes no sense to spend money on a poor quality chuck and then finally buy a good one. Get the good one now and you will never be sorry. I picked up a quote somewhere that applies here, "I can't afford cheap tools."

Dick Parr
10-20-2004, 4:58 PM
I have the supernova and love it. They have just come out with a new smaller chuck, the Nova Compact Chuck.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/chucks/Compac/compac_chuck.htm

It looks like it is a little over $120.

John Szarek
10-20-2004, 5:06 PM
I have the SuperNova. It came down to a simple matter of economics. I was able to purchase the SN with 3 sets of jaws plus cole jaws, a better alen wrench and the insert for $50 more than the Talon. I have not had any problems with it and find it holds well.

That said, I would agree, get a good chuck the first time. It will save you frustration and $ when you have to purchase a second good one.

Ray Dockrey
10-20-2004, 5:38 PM
I also agree. I have the Talon. I tried the Supernova but did not care for it and bought the Talon. The things I did not like about the Supernova has been resolved with the release of the Supernova2. I started out with a inexpensive chuck and even though it worked for me and I had good luck with it, in retrospect I should have continued to save and bought the Talon in the first place. Good Luck with your choice.

Barry N. Turner
10-20-2004, 7:13 PM
I believe the new small Nova chuck you mentioned is not the Compac chuck, but is instead a new Midi-chuck. I have a Nova Compac chuck and have found it to be a decent small chuck, in spite of many problems reported by others. Both the new Midi chuck and the older Compac chuck use tommy bars. As I understand, the Nova Compac chuck has been discontinued and is no longer made.

John Miliunas
10-20-2004, 10:56 PM
And another happy SuperNova owner here, though from what I understand, the Talon is nice, as well. You would do well by either, plus there's yet another one, which sadly, the name escapes me now, but it's pretty popular in the UK. Stay away from those using the tommy bars. Real PITA and I'm speaking from prior experience. :cool:

Bill Chapman
10-20-2004, 11:47 PM
The Nova compact has been discontinued due to many problems basicly when you bought it if it worked it was a darn good chuck, but with that said you may have to swap it out to find that good one. The Midi chuck is the replacement and appears very nice but I agree stay away from the tommy bars if at all possible. I have the SN2 and have had no problems and I'm very pleased. When I buy another I will look at the new SN3 basically becuase my existing jaws will fit. i'm not sure I need to verifiy but I think the nova jaws will fit the Talon if so I will also scope it out. well that my nickels worth good luck in your decision:)

Bruce Shiverdecker
10-20-2004, 11:51 PM
After checking out the different chucks available and getting advice from several very good, local turners and woodworkers, I chose the Talon. I have been very happy with the decision.

Bruce

Mike Weaver
10-21-2004, 7:53 AM
Wow!

SMC is awesome!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Economics may dictate the eventual outcome, but at least now I have some "ammunition" to back up my wish for the best.

-Mike

John Szarek
10-21-2004, 9:34 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42282&item=4331539141&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

check this out. I purchased from him and he was very quick to ship and will buy my second chuck from him when the time comes.

Jack Hogoboom
10-21-2004, 10:00 AM
John,

Thanks for the tip. Looks like a great price and a great deal. How do you suppose he can sell that cheaply?

Jack

Dave Crabbs
10-21-2004, 7:02 PM
I guess I'm going to be the odd ball :) . I use a Vicmarc VM100 on a Jet 1236. This thing is built like a tank. The back is completely enclosed so dust and dirt doesn't get on the gears. I has 6:1 gearing and uses a T handle allen wrench to tighten the jaws. I have never had any complaints about it. I bought mine from www.carbatec.com.au with the exchange rate + shipping it still was a very good bargain. I am not affiliated with Carbatec just a customer.

Fred Chan
10-21-2004, 7:53 PM
I had a chance to compare the supernova 2 and vicmarc chucks side by side at the woodshow last weekend. Without a doubt the vicmarc looks and feels like a better quality chuck however it's also about 25% more expensive.:( I couldn't help it but a supernova 2 followed me home.:D The guy who sells all this stuff on ebay is with KMS.

Jim Becker
10-21-2004, 8:47 PM
He/she who invests in good tools spends less in the long run. And the better chucks are easier to use. I favor the Talon (and still use it even though I bought a much larger lathe earlier this year). That's one of the nice features of the better chucks, too...they use inserts to adapt to the spindle size and threading which makes them easily portable to other machines now or later.