PDA

View Full Version : How much for a bed?

Chris Kennedy
01-24-2010, 10:05 AM
My little boy is getting to the age where he needs a decent sized bed (twin size). I would love to make one, but time just doesn't allow for it. I don't want particle board, but the price of quality beds seems rather high, to the extent that if I am going to spend that kind of money, I am going to consider getting a custom made one.

So, my question is for those who build such things. If you don't mind, would you give me a ballpark on what you would charge for a custom made bed out of mostly solid wood. Assume a headboard and a footboard. I am just curious what I would be looking at in terms of funds.

Thanks,

Chris

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Chris, that's a pretty hard question to answer without more info on the bed design. Do you have a photo you could post to give an idea of the design you want?

Garth Keel
01-24-2010, 1:54 PM
Since money is always a problem when you have kids, you might try getting a good mattress and box spring and just a metal frame. Later you could make a really nice bed.

David G Baker
01-24-2010, 2:02 PM
Chris,
Spend some time checking out used furniture stores and garage sales. I frequently see nice wood beds. When the children out grow their beds or leave home the beds usually get sold or donated. If you get a used bed at a good price you can then spend more and get a better mattress.

Chris Kennedy
01-24-2010, 3:55 PM
We actually already have the mattress. He has been sleeping on it on the floor for a while. And the woodworker in me just cannot accept a metal frame bed, even if I do not have time to build a nice wood one.

I've done a little looking in the used stores, but most of what I have found is still particle board.

I'm thinking something along the lines of this (maybe without the trundle -- I don't know yet). There was a mission style I liked as well, but now I cannot find a picture of it.

Cheers,

Chris

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2010, 4:34 PM
That won't be cheap. Curves are $. I don't do this for money, but I'd hazard a guess of $5,000 to $7,000 depending on the trundle and wood choices.

Jim Becker
01-24-2010, 8:47 PM
Chris, honestly, a custom bed is going to cost you an arm and a leg if you have someone else build it. Steve's comments are probably right on for quality work. I can get $500-800 for a simple tack trunk (which is a pretty box) if I wanted to be in that business! I did build beds for my nieces a number of years ago and they were far simpler in design than your picture. Even so, they were still a lot of work, especially because of the need to design for strength in a knock-down form factor. For my own girls, I bought Malm beds from Ikea. Yea, I know (!)...but they are well designed and it was easy to modify them to get them higher off the floor so storage containers could go underneath. Their mattresses are also very comfortable and reasonable in price. The suggestion made to check out used is also a good idea.

One other suggestion...skip the twin and go right to full-size if your son's room will support it. It will be better for him as he gets older, including the ability to take advantage of angles should he get very tall.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 9:52 PM
To TRY and answer your question. I am just a hobbyist woodworker and built this queen size mission bed from solid cherry. Don't know if I would get it or not but would ask $4,000. :eek:
I would love to hear from others who have built this bed what they were able to sell it for. Just like to know because the first question I am asked when people see it is "what's it worth"

http://www.workbenchplans.com/plansnow-images/dn1065-main.jpg

Randal Stevenson
01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
One other suggestion...skip the twin and go right to full-size if your son's room will support it. It will be better for him as he gets older, including the ability to take advantage

Sometimes the kids should buy and furnish their own vans.:D

Zach England
01-26-2010, 9:01 AM
Sometimes the kids should buy and furnish their own vans.:D

While I am a little too old to be furnishing a van, I am a relatively young adult and am still making my "first" major purchases for things like washing machines, etc. as the hand-downs from my parents are beginning to wear out. Recently I asked my dad for advice on buying mattresses and he said "You might not need to put too much money in it since you'll be the only person sleeping on it".

I really appreciated being reminded of that.