PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Mortisers

George Farra
01-24-2010, 9:44 AM
Hi guys

I'm looking to add a benchtop mortiser to my shop. I'd really like to keep my budget to less than $300.....$250 would be awesome since I don't cut mortises that often, but when I do the drill/chisel out method is a pain for me.

I've only managed to find 2 in my price point.....the Grizzly and the Craftsman. Both come with a riser block and 4 chisels.

First...any users of these? Please provide me son user input!!

Second....any others I have overlooked?? I've been looking at CL in my area and nothing has been listed so I've given up on used.

TIA

George

Ken Fitzgerald
01-24-2010, 9:47 AM
At a little higher price, look at the General International. It tilts, is a little heavier and mine came with the chisels. I bought mine at Woodcraft. This particular mortiser was rated well in a magazine test 2 years ago.

Mike Heidrick
01-24-2010, 9:56 AM
As far as non tilting, the Steel City gets good reviews and is popular.

I owned the powermatic PM701 and it was good but it is above $300.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 9:57 AM
I have a Grizzly bench top but not the current model. Works well. I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them. The only thing you will see a debate on is the speed of the bit. 1,750 vs 3,450. 1,750 you get less burning of the wood but not as good in chip ejection. 3,450 burning of the wood is more likely but get better chip ejection. IMHO it is no big deal, just personal preference. I have the 3,450 rpm.

You may also want to check out the Shopfox unit (also sold by Grizzly) Hard to tell from the photo on-line but had a chance to see one at my local dealer. It is a larger size unit than other bench top units.

http://cdn3.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/g/g9976.jpg

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 9:59 AM
As far as non tilting, the Steel City gets good reviews and is popular.

I owned the powermatic PM701 and it was good but it is above $300.

FYI- I believe the Steel City and Craftsman are the same unit

Jerome Hanby
01-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Shopfox has a bigger motor and longer handle too. It's been on my Amazon wish list for a long time... Think the last time I checked it was $269

Roger Everett
01-24-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm with what Ken said. I have the General tilt model #75-050 TMI. It was rated best in FWW a few years ago. It has a longer handle, and a real good hold-down. Though I didn't care much for the chisels that came with it, and I had another set of good ones. Will sharpen the generals someday and see how they do. As I recall, I paid between 325 and 350 for it. A little more than your budget, but I'm one who doesn't mine saving up a little longer to get the what I feel is the better tool. After all I intend to keep my tools for life.
Roger

Michael Drew
01-24-2010, 11:48 AM
I bought a Delta from Amazon for about $250 with free shipping a couple months ago. I haven't used it yet though. I got tired of cutting them by hand and decided to try a BT machine. I'll be trying it out this week. If this doesn't work for me, I'm going to build some router jigs and try that method.

David Prince
01-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Harbor Freight has a Mortiser. $169.99 and you could use a 20% off coupon to knock another chunk off.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35570

You wouldn't have alot into the unit if you only use it once in awhile.

Rod Sheridan
01-24-2010, 12:27 PM
The GI benchtop is the best of the benchtop uits, and has a good fence, vice and hold downs.

Without a good fence, vice and hold downs, a mortiser is a PITA.

It's money well spent to go with the GI, mine has cut hundreds of mortices, and was the only bench top machine that covered all the requirements including a long handle and good quality chisels.

Regards, Rod

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-24-2010, 1:10 PM
George - there are a number of tool reviews available for benchtop mortisers in your price range. Delta and Steel City usually have good reviews. The Craftsman is almost the same as the SC, but has some differences. Many people suggest going up a 'class' and going with a PM or General. One interesting conclusion of a review I read was that in that class machine, the motor size (HP) in general does not make a lot of difference. You want to look for good leverage and an adjuustable arm, and also a cast iron table (the Jet, for instance, I believe has an MDF table) and a good hold-down.

You should plan some time fine tuning the chisels that come with it. you'll have to flatten the sides, and get a sharpening kit with cones that you use to touch up the inside. The difference before and after touching my chisels was amazing.

I happen to own the Steel City. I've only used it a few times, but it works well - has good leverage, a strong motor, a cast iron table, a decent hold down, and a rack/pinion adjustable fence. It won out over the Delta for me because of a sale Woodcraft was having at the time.

I've seen a lot of comparable units on Craigslist for good prices. It seems to me that many people buy them, but for whatever reason don't use them a lot and end up selling them. It could be that pocket hole systems have caused many people to turn away from M&T joinery.

Jerry Olexa
01-24-2010, 2:29 PM
Consider "used" if that is your budget,,,A few years ago, I bought a virtually new Jet mortiser with 3 of the blades still in the original box...Price was well under $200 and has served me well. May have to be patient till you find one but it would meet your needs and budget..

Scott Vigder
01-24-2010, 2:32 PM
At a little higher price, look at the General International. It tilts, is a little heavier and mine came with the chisels. I bought mine at Woodcraft. This particular mortiser was rated well in a magazine test 2 years ago.

General also makes a non-tilting unit which I have owned for about three years. It has an excellent fence, a good hold-down, and came with a chisel set that really holds an edge. You can adjust the handle angle for really big holes or small indents.

George Farra
01-24-2010, 4:33 PM
Thanks guys

I'll check out the GI and steel city machines as well

Regards

George

Dan Mitchell
01-24-2010, 8:54 PM

+1. I've used mine several times now on walnut & hard maple. Works quite well, once you clean up the chisels a tad.