PDA

View Full Version : Jackpot! - Wood gloat

Jason Clark2
01-24-2010, 2:54 AM
We've had some pretty nasty storms in the Phoenix are the last couple days. I finally had some time off today so I drove around looking for downed trees and hit the jackpot.

I found a Shoestring Acacia down and cut into sections about a mile from home and then found an 18" diameter Mesquite down about a mile from there. Most of the pieces pictured below are 14-16" diameter.

I think I'll be pretty busy for a while, now that they're all sealed and in my garage I barely have room to turn around.

Jason

alvin rush
01-24-2010, 3:06 AM
good for you is it a hardwood? I bet it spins awesome good job wow.......have a good morning and have some fun for me be sure to post some of it completed........:cool:

Dan Forman
01-24-2010, 3:48 AM
Looks like enough to keep you out of trouble for a while. Nice score.

Dan

Norm Zax
01-24-2010, 4:19 AM
Well done sir! Enjoy!

John Keeton
01-24-2010, 7:54 AM
Jason, excellent haul!! Never having worked with either one, which one is the darker wood - looks like it will be beautiful!!

Baxter Smith
01-24-2010, 8:54 AM
Looks great! Hope you show something made from each.:)

Tony De Masi
01-24-2010, 9:26 AM
Very nice score Jason. If you haven't turned any Mesquite yet you are going to love it.

Tony

charlie knighton
01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
nice score, great gloat, nothing better than free wood

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Jason - sorry to hear about all the weather but happy to hear of your wood score! Looks like you have some really nice stuff! Enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn out of it!

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Sorry you had such bad storms. The wood looks great and I have turned some of that wood. It turns like a dream at least the stuff I turned. Pretty wood.

Jon Lanier
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Congratulations! It is always fun finding works of art that are yet hidden.

Jason Clark2
01-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks all, about 50% of what I turn is one of the Mesquites or the Acacias so I'm familiar with their workability. The darker pieces are the Acacia, it's related to Koa except darker. The Mesquite is probably Honey Mesquite or one of the various hybrids. Most don't get this big, I was lucky to get it.

I did a bit more hunting this AM and found another Mesquite and another Acacia on the ground. Both about 14". I'm keeping an eye on both waiting for the cleaning crews to do the hard work.

Jason

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 3:02 PM
Wow... Great ongoing gloat. The storms sound terrible, but there's often a silver lining in the aftermath. The acacia sounds very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing some once it's round.

GLENN THOMAS
01-24-2010, 5:04 PM
Nice gloat. Finding free wood is almost as good as picking money off trees, and most people dont even know it.

GT

gary Zimmel
01-24-2010, 5:35 PM
Congrats on the nice haul Jason.
Looks like you are set for a few months...

Rob Cunningham
01-25-2010, 9:20 AM
Nice haul Jason. Looks like you'll be busy for a while

David Hostetler
01-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Nice haul... I have a bunch of junk in the truck that I need to haul to the dump before I can snag anything like that... I've been seeing CL ads for people giving away Mesquite and Pecan that they had dropped... I like turning both, but Mesquite in particular has a really pretty grain to it...

Never tried that Acacia, would love to see what it looks like when turned... I bet that is some good looking stuff.