PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Plunge Router

Al Deutscher
01-24-2010, 2:53 AM
Hi Guys,

Still a newbee, but trying. :)

I just bought me the below mentioned router. It has no variable speed, but seems to be everything that I need. I needed the 1/2 inch collet capability and chose this one.

"Craftsman 9.5 Amp 1-3/4 HP Plunge Base Router with Soft Start and LED Worklights"

I spent several days checking out features and prices. I probably got what I paid for, but with the extended warranty, I should get some use out of it. It has a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch dust collection attachment included. I'll only need to connect a hose to my DS.

The big question: "Does anybody know if this is any good?". Now that I bought it, I'm asking if I didn't buy the wrong one. It's strictly for hobby use but will be used quite a bit. I have an AC speed controller - from HB which will work to slow down the RPM from 25K.

Thanks for any information or opinions you guys might have or be willing to share.

Al

Ron Wakefield
01-24-2010, 5:59 AM
Al, the new Craftsman routers are very good, but they are all "soft start". Accessory speed controllers will not work with soft start routers. The router you purchased will be great for edge work and inlays. As long as you limit yourself to bits that fit through the stock sub base, you should not have a problem with the rpm's.

Tom Adger
01-24-2010, 8:11 AM
I have the similar Craftsman plunge/fixed base combo, but I bought the 11amp with variable speed. I like the tool, especially the depth of cut adjustment.

If you haven't used it yet, I would suggest you take it back and swap for the variable speed model. It's worth the extra cost. When you use a bit with a large diameter, it can be dangerous because of the very high speed the outside of the bit is spinning at. The ability to slow down the bit speed can also help prevent burns on wood.

Al Deutscher
01-24-2010, 2:00 PM
Thanks Ron and Tom,

I went to Sears and traded up to the:
Craftsman 2 hp Soft Start Fixed and Plunge Base Router w/Electronic Feedback, 11 amp

and got the special 10% off for their one day savings deal. I hadn't known that with soft start, you couldn't use speed control. This one has variable speed and two bases.

Thanks again,

Al

Tom Adger
01-24-2010, 2:12 PM
Al, I think you made a smart move. I think you will find that your new router has soft start, and speed control, which on mine is a dial close to the top. The instruction booklet(s) with the unit have a chart giving rpms corresponding to the dial settings, and suggested rpms for different diameter bits.