PDA

View Full Version : A bowl and a vase

Gary Chester
01-24-2010, 2:05 AM
Well I finally got my photography skills up to the point of being just above pathetic... I'm ready to post some pics.

The bowl is cherry from a great Craigs List find. Minwax satin and buffed.

The vase/weedpot might be african blackwood, or not. I had some knowledgeable people look into it a while back but now I can't remember what they said they thought it was... if you have a guess I'm listening. Minwax gloss and buffed.

Critque's of the turnings and photos welcome, and thanks for looking.

John Keeton
01-24-2010, 7:57 AM
Gary, I like both of them, and I particularly like the wood in the vase! Beautiful colors.

On the photography, the pics look good to me, but then my knowledge of photography is minimal.

Baxter Smith
01-24-2010, 8:53 AM
Well I finally got my photography skills up to the point of being just above pathetic...

I won't take that personally since your background looks a lot cleaner than the old mattress cover I use.;) I just tell myself I still need to focus on the turning part of this. Like the open form of the cherry and the vase is very pretty too. Hope you show some more of your work!

Steve Schlumpf
01-24-2010, 10:41 AM
Nice work on both Gary! What are the dimensions?

Photos look pretty good! Only comment is to be aware that whatever color backdrop you use will influence the color of your turning. A lot of folks go with a gray or light colored background just so t doesn't compete with the subject for attention.

Bernie Weishapl
01-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Gary look good. Nice form and finish on both. Pic's look good.

Steve Mawson
01-24-2010, 12:11 PM
Especially like the vase-looks like a great piece of wood-measurements would be welcome.

Michael Jasani
01-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Hi Gary love the vase! great wood, great form! My photopgraphy skills are next to nothing and I am learning from the great folks here on SMC, I would try to have a warmer toned backdrop for the vase to really make it stand out. Great piece.

Gary Chester
01-24-2010, 1:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words. This is a great forum, great info and inspiration... and good people!

Some asked about dimensions, the bowl is 10" in diameter and the vase is 11" tall.

I appreciate the comments about the background and I agree. I was using the back of a poster (flat white) for the background with shiny posterboard for the sides and top and having a lot of trouble with reflections, especially with the vase. So I tossed the posterboard and stole the green blanket from the cat.... I'll be heading off to get a nice clean white sheet later today.

So... any thoughts about what kind of wood the vase was made from? I know it's tough without bark and leaves... but this picture shows a unique feature that may offer a clue. The picture was taken looking from the top. The pith runs right down the center. I was thinking the partial bands of lighter wood that run thru the piece would be a clue for someone "in the know".

David E Keller
01-24-2010, 3:26 PM
Great job. I really like the vase... It's beautiful wood. The African blackwood that I've turned has been darker and the grain wasn't as visible after finishing. When turned, it reminded me a lot of Gabon ebony. That piece could be AB or a lot of other things. Texas ebony, walnut, milo, and some type of acacia are all possibilities I think. Whatever it is, it's pretty.

Brian Effinger
01-24-2010, 5:17 PM
Beautiful turnings Gary. I like them both.

Brian

Roland Martin
01-24-2010, 7:40 PM
These are both great turnings. I reallize the vase is far more work than the bowl, but the size, shape, rim details and the really nice piece of cherry really does it for me. Photography is good in my opinion.

charlie knighton
01-24-2010, 8:28 PM
very nice...