PDA

View Full Version : First post, first veneer project

Al Mayo
01-24-2010, 1:50 AM
First post and first time veneering. Have been a woodworker many years but never tried veneer. Wife picked up this table for $15 at an estate sale. There’s nothing remarkable about it, but I really like the turned legs. The original veneer was a four piece book match but most of one piece was gone and the rest were badly damaged. I played around with some designs before coming up with what you see. I did this old school, with hot glue and a hammer. Has a couple of rookie mistakes but I kept my expectations realistic.

John Keeton
01-24-2010, 8:38 AM
Al, welcome to the creek!!! Great intro with the veneer project. Wonderful to save an old piece destined for the junk pile, and you did a great job on the veneer. I have always wanted to try it, but haven't mustered up the nerve to do so. Bonus points for doing it without a vac press!!

Doug W Swanson
01-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Al,

That looks nice. I like the colors you picked. I need to make an end table for our living room but maybe I can find a table and fix it up like you did.

Doug

gary Zimmel
01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Welcome to the Creek Al. Good to have you aboard.
Nice work on the veneering.
Looking forward to seeing you post more projects.

John Thompson
01-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Looks great Al. I have also been WW'ing for many years but... very little experience with veneer as I have always worked solid. But frankly.. with the rising prices of wood I may have to go that route to some degree in the not so distant future.

Again.. looks great and welcome to the Creek...

Andrew Gibson
01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Looks beautiful... you could tell people you have been veneering for years.

I have been dabbling in veneers, so far all I have done are small inlays, but I want to move into stringing when a project lends itself to it and multi piece inlays as well.

bob hertle
01-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Absolutely stunning! Sorta makes me wish I'd have kept the twin to that table.

Bob

Jeff Monson
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Really nice Al, I like the contrasting woods, to me it doesnt look like a simple 1st veneer project, great work.

John Timberlake
01-31-2010, 8:52 AM
Great job. That is pretty ambitious for a first veneer project, especially using hide glue.