PDA

View Full Version : bowl gouge/end grain platter?

Kevin J Lalonde
01-23-2010, 8:31 PM
Hey guys. I have a piece of antique pine that has the pith included and I would like to make an endgrain platter with it tomorrow. When I made a bowl with the same wood the endgrain tearout was AWFUL!! Will I be able to turn this endgrain platter with the 1/2" thompson gouge? Its really the only tool I own except for a half round sorby scraper. Should I use the scraper? Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
01-23-2010, 8:49 PM
Kevin - not a lot to go on here.........but I would use the gouge, freshly sharpened, light cuts and make sure that you are slicing the wood at an angle. Don't be in a rush - take your time and resharpen your gouge often.

Look forward to seeing the platter!

David E Keller
01-23-2010, 9:23 PM
I'd go with the gouge as well. You can try the scraper and different cuts with the gouge while you are getting down to thickness and found out what tool works the best with that piece of wood, but the gouge is likely to give you the best cut.

Like Steve said, sharpen often if you need to and take light cuts.

Bernie Weishapl
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
You've gotten good advice. I would echo what they said. Make sure your last cuts are light and with a sharp tool.

Doug Thompson
01-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Roll the gouge way over almost closed then open it until you get the cut you need. One more thing practice the finish cuts long before you need to use them.

Reed Gray
01-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Also with long dried wood, you can wet the wood. I use a wet rag with water, others use finish, or paste wax. Let it soak in for 60 or so seconds, then take very light cuts and a couple of passes to remove the wet wood. You may have to do it a couple of times to get rid of all the tear out. It can be done with a scraper, but not with a scraping cut, as in flat on the tool rest, but with a freshly ground or burnished burr, and the scraper at a shear/45 degree angle, and a pulling cut. Might be easier to use the gouge, especially on the inside of the bowl.

robo hippy

Kevin J Lalonde
01-24-2010, 9:55 AM
Thanks for the advice. It's 10am and i'm about to put your advice to use. MIght try the water idea. I dont know. You'll see how it goes tomorrow!