PDA

View Full Version : How to level the feet on a large workbench?

Dan Friedrichs
01-23-2010, 6:12 PM
I'm planning to build a new workbench, but also use my workbench as my tablesaw outfeed table, so I need to be able to carefully level the bench (so it's level with the saw table). In the past, I've used t-nuts and bolts on the bottom of the legs, but found that the bench slides on the concrete floor rather easily.

Does anyone have an interesting way of leveling something large like a workbench, while still keeping plenty of friction against the floor?

Tony De Masi
01-23-2010, 6:32 PM
Dan, I don't know why, but my first thought was to go with the setup you already mentioned and put pieces of rubber, think cut up mouse pad, under the bolts. Sounds like it would work fine but you should consider the source as well.

Tony

Dan Friedrichs
01-23-2010, 6:44 PM
Tony, that may work. Or perhaps I'll use a bolt that goes into a rough piece of wood that touches the ground. It seems like that may cause the bench to wobble if pushed in the horizontal direction, though, so I was just fishing for some other ideas if anyone has them...

Dan Forman
01-23-2010, 7:00 PM
Something like this? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Lathes___Attachments___Machine_Mount___mach_mounts ?Args=

The other Dan

Mark Engel
01-23-2010, 7:17 PM
A small piece of PSA sandpaper stuck to the head of the bolt may be enough friction to stop the movement.

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 9:04 PM
I used these feet from WoodCraft for my miter saw station. Easy to attach, sturdy, and way easier to adjust than typical feet because they use an allen wrench on top instead of a wrench on the bottom.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003986/2003986.aspx

Dave Haughs
01-23-2010, 9:19 PM
I used these feet from WoodCraft for my miter saw station. Easy to attach, sturdy, and way easier to adjust than typical feet because they use an allen wrench on top instead of a wrench on the bottom.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2003986/2003986.aspx

I second these. Especially if the bench has some weight to it.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-23-2010, 9:26 PM
Get some hockey pucks, and counterbore them for a carriage bolt. Cheap adjustable rubber feet that won't slide.

Jim O'Dell
01-23-2010, 9:51 PM
Or use any of the commercial adjustable feet, I get mine from McMaster-Carr. So far the ones I've purchased are have a polypropylene material that sits on the floor. But they have rubber, or you could use some spray contact adhesive with the poly ones and glue on some sand paper. I do like the idea of the Woodcraft ones with the hex adjustment from the top though. Jim.

Jason White
01-23-2010, 10:43 PM
I put 4 of these on my workbench to level it with the tablesaw and they work great!

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003986/9089/Heavy-Duty-Leg-Levelers--Wide-Foot-(1).aspx

I'm planning to build a new workbench, but also use my workbench as my tablesaw outfeed table, so I need to be able to carefully level the bench (so it's level with the saw table). In the past, I've used t-nuts and bolts on the bottom of the legs, but found that the bench slides on the concrete floor rather easily.

Does anyone have an interesting way of leveling something large like a workbench, while still keeping plenty of friction against the floor?

Steve Kohn
01-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I put 4 of these on my workbench to level it with the tablesaw and they work great!

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003986/9089/Heavy-Duty-Leg-Levelers--Wide-Foot-(1).aspx

+1, especially if you add a hockey puck or rubber pad underneath the foot to increase friction.

Hey, instead of a set of hockey pucks how about a set of bench cookies? A lot of people say they realy work.

Greg Hines, MD
01-23-2010, 10:57 PM
I cut mortises into the bottoms of the 4x4 feet on my bench, and then epoxied in the nut for a 1" diameter bolt, which I then threaded into it. After moving it around a bit, the concrete floor has roughed them up enough to not move much at all.

Doc

Dan Forman
01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I like the idea of a little more thread engaged than the Woodcraft offer, especially if using hand tools. Seems something like Greg's would offer more stability, though less convenient to set.

Dan

Greg Hines, MD
01-23-2010, 11:07 PM
I like the idea of a little more thread engaged than the Woodcraft offer, especially if using hand tools. Seems something like Greg's would offer more stability, though less convenient to set.

Dan

Mine sits up about an inch, so my big crescent wrench fits without trouble. Whenever I move it, if it rocks when I reset it, a bit of a turn from the wrench levels it. I bought a pair of little levels to mortise into the front and edge of the bench, but never go around to actually putting them in. I may still do it sometime.

Doc

Glen Butler
01-24-2010, 2:01 AM
These handcrafted beauties don't slide on me. I don't know if it is the stamping in the head of the bolt, the size of the bolt, or the weight of the table, but they don't slide. And I wanted them to. It is a 3/4 nut welded to 1x1x1/8 tube steel.