PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a custom hinge template?

John Finley
01-23-2010, 4:51 PM
I need to install butler tray hinges but I am not sure the best way to mortise out the table top for them to sit flush. I have four of them to install, so I would like to make a template and use my router to make them all look the same. There may be a better way, but I can't figure it out. I have done some searches, but have not been able to find anything. I am not very skilled at hand tools, but I may have to resort to using them:confused:. Can any of you give me some ideas. Thanks, John

Mike Henderson
01-23-2010, 5:07 PM
I lay the hinges in place then use a knife to trace around them (marking out the mortise). I have carving gouges so I choose a gouge with the correct curvature and make a downward cut along the curved portion of the knife cut. Use a chisel on the straight parts. Chisel out the waste almost to the full depth, then use a router plane to finish so you'll get a flat bottom.

Mike

Conrad Fiore
01-23-2010, 5:43 PM
John,
You will need a router base insert and a straight router bit. Lay out the hinge on a piece of hardboard or 1/2" ply and trace it out.The edge of the template material will be the center of the hinge. You will need to offset this line by the distance from the edge of the insert to the OD of the router bit. When you have this new offset line drawn, cout to the inside of the line with a bandsaw, jigsaw or coping saw. Sand up to the line with a spindle sander or drill press mounted drum sander. You can get an inexpensive drum kit at the Borg for a couple of bucks. When you have the template sanded to the line, mark the location of the hinge on you work, clamp it in the correct location. Set your router bit to the correct depth and start routing. WARNING. Make sure you test the template on a piece of scrap first to confirm your measurements were correct. You will have to use a chisel for the pocket for the protrusion on the back of the hinge. Or, you can reset the depth of your router and eyeball it.

glenn bradley
01-23-2010, 6:12 PM
If I were only doing a few and the radius is one I had, I would use a Forstner for each end and chisel out the middle.