PDA

View Full Version : Tiny full shop

Matt Wolboldt
01-23-2010, 3:47 PM
So I was putting together my new R4511 and I started to chuckle. At this point I have almost no room to actually work, but at least my tool collection is multiplying. I hope you get a chuckle too.
Matt

Mitchell Andrus
01-23-2010, 4:07 PM
As the tools get bigger, the projects get smaller.

Cliff Holmes
01-23-2010, 4:11 PM
Uh, I thought collecting tools was the point. We're supposed to use them? For what? :confused:

Jim O'Dell
01-23-2010, 4:45 PM
No, when you start to laugh is when the LOYL starts wanting cabinets and tall book cases!! :D Jim.

James Carmichael
01-23-2010, 4:51 PM
No, when you start to laugh is when the LOYL starts wanting cabinets and tall book cases!! :D Jim.

Yep, just scoot the table saw in front of that window, and build a planter box as an outfeed table.

George Sanders
01-23-2010, 5:07 PM
I reached critical mass this year. I have to move one machine out into the work area then move it back to allow space for the next machine. I sure have to plan the process out in advance, and oh my aching back!

Garth Keel
01-23-2010, 5:16 PM
Don't be negative. There is also room for more tools:D

I see no reason why you should be able to get into the workshop:rolleyes:

Rod Sheridan
01-23-2010, 5:37 PM
That's exactly what happened to me.

So, two years ago the jointer and planer were replaced by a combo unit, and this spring the TS and shaper will be replaced by a combo unit.

The funny thing is I'll have more room and larger equipment at the same time!

Regards, Rod.

John Shaffner
01-23-2010, 6:44 PM
hey Matt, I think it's high time you "came out of the closet" and build a larger shop!:rolleyes:

Don't feel alone, my shop is always cluttered up and hard to move around, too. But, my problem is not that I have too many tools, it's that I have too much lumber. It seems that I have become more of a collector than a woodworker. Now, if I could only get my butt in gear enough to do some actual woodworking, instead of playing.

John

Kevin Gregoire
01-23-2010, 7:30 PM
i know exactly how you feel but i can say im doing just a little better then you but not by much!

but actually you do have plenty of room! you need to find that popular science mag and
build that anti-gravity machine and you can mount a bunch more machines on the ceiling! :eek:

Bruce Page
01-23-2010, 7:55 PM
Kinda looks like my shop. I have pretty much stopped buying any new machinery. But hey, my hand tool collection is growing!

Van Huskey
01-23-2010, 7:59 PM
Yep, just scoot the table saw in front of that window, and build a planter box as an outfeed table.

You may laugh but in my last place I had the tablesaw positoned beside a window so I could open it so the back of my Incra fence positioner would go out the window when extended for a wide rip!

Scott Gibbons
01-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Were you able to pick up the R4511 with the 299 blow out deal? I was able to grab the last one in my area.

Steven P. Hankford
01-24-2010, 11:40 AM
There is always room for more tools! I just got the r4511 for the 299 how can you turn that down?? I am just getting into wood working and stuff like that. My brother in law said the worst thing anyone could say to a guy when I told him I needed a third tool box, stop buying tools! I have a small area to work with and I have the r4511, a delta single stage dust collector miter saw, and drill press. next up grade will be either the ridgid belt sander or band saw.

Bruce Mack
01-24-2010, 9:42 PM
It looks just fine. Mine is a collection of seldom used tools with an elderly cat caretaker. We sit together on an old chair and enjoy the quiet.

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2010, 10:26 PM
I have a 3 car garage for my shop and starting to wonder about room for my tool collection.:D

Woodworking? Is that what we are spouse to do with our tools?

Josiah Bartlett
01-25-2010, 3:26 PM
I've had to go 3 dimensional with my shop- my air compressor is in the attic, my dust collector hangs high on the wall, and I built a bridge out of 2x12s over where I park my truck so I have room for sheet goods storage. You can still cram a big jointer and a shaper in there!

Don Morris
01-25-2010, 3:51 PM
Mobile bases to move things around and into the next room..."temporarily dear". Say that with conviction and you may get away with it.

Michael MacDonald
01-25-2010, 4:02 PM
So how much floor space do you actually have? I find that I can't use my TS mobile base to move the table anywhere... no where to move it to. But I do kick it up when I need to angle the saw so I can get a long board through the blade with the mitre without running into my workbench... if I angle it just so, I can dodge the obstacles.

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2010, 10:13 PM
What gets me is I own a JET cabinet saw and jointer. The handles to adjust the fence sick up past the table top of my saw. If I had a nickel every time I cut ply on the saw only to catch on the handles. I could by a shop full of new tools.