PDA

View Full Version : Running NG line and Venting

Mark Lang
01-23-2010, 2:59 PM
I know it might vary from state to state, but I would think it should be pretty much the same everywhere.

I had a pole building built
I'm insulating the wall and covering them with sheetrock
I'm contracting out the heating system. I'm having a modine hot dog installed

My question is

What is the code for running NG lines

Specifically

Can the NG line be run inside walls 30 feet, obviously the line has to come through the wall, can it run for a long distance inside a wall cavity and or can it be run in the enclosed attic space or do the lines have to be exposed?

Also how far away from any wood does the vent(exaust) have to be. This will be venting through the roof.

The reason I'm asking is I don't want the line running inside my shop, this is more of a cosmetic thing.

Can a gas line be run inside a wall cavity, 30'?
Can a gas line be run inside an attic 30'?
Would you do this if you could?

If so what are the Pros and Cons of doing so.
If I can't I can't
I know the codes might vary from state to state.
This is a commercial building.

Thanks
Mark

Howard Garner
01-23-2010, 4:44 PM
Down here is South Carolina all mechanical joints must be accessible. If it must be hidden in the walls, welded joints would be used.
YMMV

Howard Garner

Justin Freund
01-23-2010, 5:19 PM
That totally depends on your local builidng department. There is no reason you can't have the line in the wall, how its done is though is going to be up to your local codes. Some will allow black pipe, some will allow CSST, some copper. Then the joints are up to local codes too.

As for the vent, that depends again on your local codes and also the manufacturer of the furnace because different systems have different exhaust gas temperatures.

The short of it is that everything should be able to be run inside the walls. If you're having this contracted out, its their job to figure out how.

David G Baker
01-23-2010, 5:40 PM
Mark,
I ran all of my piping 24 inches underground using a flex type of plastic material designed for NG lines. Then I punched through the wall and ran the black pipe to the Hot Dawg. There is a shut off valve where the line goes from plastic to black iron pipe. I would not run NG piping inside of a wall even if code allowed it, just my way of doing things.
If you have not purchased your Hot Dawg you may want to question your HVAC people about the unit over heating and causing the foil on the left wall of the unit getting too hot causing the foil to crumble and blow all over my shop. I have this problem going on now. Modine will not talk to me and will only deal with HVAC dealers. My dealer is trying at this time to get the cause from Modine with out any luck so far. One other thing, if you can afford the extra expense get the unit that uses outside air for ignition, something I wish I had done.

Mark Lang
01-23-2010, 7:37 PM
Thank You for all of your responces. I think I have the problem solved.

David I did go with the Modine Hot Dog hopefully I don't have the same problems your having. I could of gone with a more efficiant furnace just like most people have in thier homes, it would of had the intake(fresh air) and vent outside, the cost would of been a little over $100.00 more not a problem, I did go with the unit heater to save money, but I thought the unit heater was the way to go, smaller and up and out of the way. After hearing your problems I wish I would of went with a regular furnace. I guess if the hot dog fails me in the future I might change over to a regular furnace.

They should have it all installed by Tues.

Thanks
Mark